}The In-Laws{

Music plays loudly and a large bonfire rages. The smells of cooked meat wafts through the forest trees. Live charcoals are placed on the ground, some of the wolves howl in pain and humor after walking over them.

They drink and dance. Talk and laugh. The women are very beautiful. They have soft features and strong definition. They are mostly slender but there are some very curvy ones. The mothers enjoy time with their mates.

You can tell who is together. They stand arm in arm, kiss, and turn to check in. I can almost see what their wolves look like. I sigh, I am somehow homesick. An arm wraps around my waist. I look up to a stranger.

"Excuse me?"

"Welcome to the pack, Miss."

"You are?" I step away from them.

"I am Tyler Waters, I work under Mr.Brennet."

"Where is your mate?"

"I do not have one yet."

I size up this dog. He is strong and his ocean eyes contrast with his dark hair. He is handsome.

"You are still young. I mean Mr.Brennet is an old coot. Now look at him, he's an even older coot."

He laughs. I smile.

"Care to dance?"

"I do not know the dances you guys do."

"All we do is move to the beat. You just need to rock your body," he sways my hips, "stomp and clap to the beat, and there you are."

I slide away from his grasp again.

"How kind, but I think I will pass."

"Come on Miss, I just want to dance."

"The way you place your hands on a woman's body shows you want more than to dance." I growl, flashing my eyes.

His face turns dark as he smiles. I feel the warm body heat behind me, I know who it is. He knows not to touch me.

"Tyler Waters, when a woman doesn't want to dance with you, you leave her alone."

"Okay. Fine, I'll see you around Miss."

Ruban starts to walk forward, I put my hand up on his chest. Just seeing the fear in Tyler's eyes was enough. Tyler scampers away. I turn to Ruban.

"So where have you been?"

"Dealing with the rest of the boys like Tyler."

"How does it feel?" I hum with a sly smile.

"What?"

"Having something everyone else wants?" It must be fun being an Alpha, but I guess there are always challenges to power.

"Sometimes, I'm jealous of myself."

I laugh.

"Oh to run a pack!" I exclaim he smiles.

"I don't think we are on the same page."

"Are we ever?"

"Come, there is someone who wants to meet you."

He pulls me behind him.

I follow behind him as people smile at us. He takes me to an older couple. The man has a dark face, and the woman reminds me of my Grandmother. The angriest woman I know.

"I feel so welcome."

"Just get it over with, so we can go."

We stand in front of them. The woman hums sizing me up.

"You are the girl who now weakens my son?"

"Son." I say with a fake smile, I turn to Ruban as he stares down.

"You do not seem to be strong enough, and I've heard on the wind you attacked him? Not very ladylike."

"What? Because I don't act like a lap dog?" Ha! I'm so punny.

"So you did attack him?" The father asks with a lifted brow.

"Yes, I believe if he wants to be with me he has to earn the right." I narrow my eyes.

The older man smiles.

"I like you. You have yourself a strong woman, how soon are you planning on children?"

"Father." Ruban snarls. I scoff and cross my arms.

"We do expect grandchildren. If you can not provide then our bloodline weakens and nobody will be able to inherit the position."

"There is no way I am-"

"Talking about this. Right now. We have to move on. Mother, Father. Excuse us."

Ruban leads me away. I grumble still holding myself.

"Why the fuck is everyone trying to get us to have kids!? Maybe I don't want children!"

"Keep your voice down. I don't even think that," he quiets, "that is possible."

I grumble.

"You will be at fault if I can not have children." He almost warns.

"I don't care. I am not going to allow you to mount me. I am trying to break this! Not cause more wars."

"I know Verena." He sighs. "Can we talk about this later when ears aren't eavesdropping?"

I look around and meet few eyes. I nod. A boy runs up to us smiling.

"Gregory, right?" I question. He smiles and blushes. He scratches the back of his head.

"Yes Ma'am!" He looks for Ruban and fear wells up in his eyes. "We have the deer!"

I furrow my brow and look up at Ruban. He smiles.

"Bring us."

"To what?"

"Have you forgotten?" He questions. I roll my eyes. "We are hunting, my dear."

"Hunting?" Fear wells up in my stomach.