nightmare [billy]

"y/n, i have basketball practice after school tomorrow, remember." billy told me just before i got out of his car as he pulled up outside his house.

"oh yeah, that's fine, max do you want a ride tomorrow?" i offered her, since she wouldn't have a way of getting home either.

she gratefully agreed with a smile, and made her way into the house.

we had been dating for a while now, and we live directly next door to each other.

billy's parents made him drive max to and from school. after they moved next door to me, since we were the same age, his dad made him take me too.

initially we both weren't really thrilled, i had to be driven to school by some random guy and his little sister.

but then eventually, we became closer as he drove me to and from school, and we became good friends.

we spent countless nights together when he climbed into my window and stayed in my room all night, mainly to escape his abusive dad.

it all lead to us becoming an item one day. 

neither of our parents knew we were dating- we both agreed that it would be better off as a secret, especially as he didn't know how his dad would react.

but max knew about us, and even though she didn't have the best step-sibling relationship with billy, she kept it a secret for us since she knew what his dad could be like.

"y/n, can i sleep with you again in your room tonight?" billy's voice was quiet, desperate for no one to hear him.

he would sleep with me regularly- as in dreaming sleeping- and it has become a comfort thing for the both of us.

"yeah of course, that's fine. just give me the signal and i'll open the window."

we had a signal for if either of us wanted to talk or come into each other's rooms. we would flick the light switch on and off a few times, and the other person would leave their window open.

later that night, i was listening to some music on my vinyl player when out of the corner of my eye i saw billy's light flicker on and off.

i opened my window and then walked downstairs to say goodnight to my parents before billy got in.

that way, we wouldn't run the risk of someone coming in to say goodnight and finding us both in my bed together, even if we had innocent intentions.

by the time i returned to my room, billy was already sat on my bed, facing the window.

"hey, are you okay?" i whispered delicately, seeing his glossy eyes when he turned around.

seeing him upset always broke my heart, and most of the time it was because of his dad.

i wanted to do something about it, like confront his dad- but billy said it would just make things worse.

he cried for a bit, told me all of his worries and what upset him that day.

everytime i saw a tear fall from his eye, or heard a crack in his voice from the sadness, i felt like crying too.

we both got into bed, billy was clearly emotionally exhausted and just needed some rest.

under the covers, he had a tight grip around my waist, holding me close to him, almost afraid to let me go.

eventually we both dozed off, blissfully forgetting all of our troubles and emotions.

billy's pov
i had basketball practise after school, so i began to make my way to the gym.

on my way there, i see y/n walking down the corridor with steve harrington, holding onto his arm.