ice cream [steve]

every saturday and sunday, i would get up early and drive to starcourt to sling ice cream with my co workers steve and robin at scoops ahoy.

working there wasn't the worst, they're both my friends, so at least that's was good. plus, watching steve trying to ask out girls and failing miserably every time was entertainment enough for robin and i.

"and another one bites the dust." robin slides in front of the open window with a whiteboard, sliding the pen down the board and tallying another loss on the 'you suck' column, steve rolling his eyes at the latest fail mark.

the whiteboard had become mine and robin's very important data when working at scoops.

it was the most entertaining thing that happened at work, otherwise we would just stand there at the counter for hours, staring into space.

suddenly an idea popped into my head, a way we could make our data even more interesting.

"well robin, maybe we should make a board for you," i suggest while smirking. robin had came out as gay to us not that long ago, after serving tammy thompson ice cream and seeing the deep red blush on her face.

however, now everytime tammy comes in, robin will catch sight of her and fly into the back room and out of sight quicker than a cheetah.

"i bet you would get more points than this dingus over here." i add nodding my head in steve's direction, robin laughed and steve just shook his head and rolled his eyes.

steve didn't seem too up for the idea- probably because he was somewhat scared he would lose- but i wanted to see who would win.

he blames the losses of girls' phone numbers on his hat. he says that the hat is "totally blowing his best feature.".

steve walks lazily through the door into the break room at the back, while robin and takes his place behind the counter beside me.

sliding the window open again, i lean forwards in attempt to get the whiteboard.

my arms just didn't reach, my fingertips were grazing the edge. i tried leaning further in, but i still couldn't reach.

however i was very unaware of steve sitting at the table with an amused smirk, watching me struggle to reach the board.

"need some help there, y/n?" his smirk was still evident on his face.

"yes please." i mutter, embarrassed.

steve gets up and slides the board towards me, and passes me the pen.

i quickly thank him and stand up straight again and face robin, who was red in the face from laughing so much.

"what?" i was confuses what was so funny.

"i bet the customers all really enjoyed that view of your ass there, y/n. especially that guy over there." robin burst into laughter while pointing at a guy in the corner of the store.

blushing deeply, i hid my face in my hands in embarrassment.

"oh god... anyway." in an attempt to distract myself and robin from what just happened, i placed the whiteboard on the surface where the window is, so steve could see it from the break room.

the whiteboard pen and a napkin in my hand, i wipe off the contents of the board and draw two new columns- one labeled 'steve' and the other one reading 'robin'.

steve looks at it, and slides it towards him to get a better look, and leans it on the window in the break room, shaking his head but laughing slightly before walking away to have the rest of his break.

robin and i were talking at the counter since there were no customers ordering for a while. we see a familiar group of about four kids approach us, and the skinny but tall boy rings the bell.

the two of us keep our stare fixed on the group, as we raise our voices in unison.

"hey dingus, your children are here."
they then follow steve into the back room when robin and i share a look and start laughing.

this group of kids came to see steve- and use the back entrance- all the time. it was kinda strange how he knew so many kids.

"how many children is he friends with?" robin says, and we both start laughing again.

a few moments later, steve reappeared from behind the door and rejoined us at the counter.

"seriously, how many children are you friends with?" i burst into laughter yet again, and steve mutters a slightly annoyed "dingus" under his breath.

"how do you know them all?" i questioned him, intrigued as to how he came friends with so many kids.

"i had to look after them... it's a really long story." steve said, but never ended up telling the story.

a few customers later, robin announces she's going to take her break. she starts whispering something in steve's ear as she goes to leave, however they start whisper yelling at each other.

i keep my gaze on them, obviously unamused at their 'sutble' whispering.

"is there something you wanna tell me?" i asked, my tone clearly signalling i was unimpressed, however a smirk was present on my face from watching those two argue.

an immediate 'no' came from steve's mouth, earning raised eyebrows from robin and a nod towards me.

she rolled her eyes before walking past me and heading towards the door leading into the breakroom which was behind me.

out of the corner of my eye, i see robin making hand gestures behind me and pointing at me, clearly trying to signal something to steve.

"robin i do know what you're doing." i tell her, attempting to hold back a laugh.

the only response i got was the sound of her trying to muffle her giggles and her fading footsteps and then back door opening and then closing.

steve cleared his throat loudly before starting to talk. "so, um, y/n i was wondering if yo-" his awkward mumbling got cut off by robin sliding the window open and giving steve a thumbs up.

steve immediately slides the window shut with an annoyed sigh, blocking her view.

"what were you saying?" i ask, continuing the conversation, trying not to laugh at his awkward-ness and robin's off-putting actions.

"do you wanna go on a date sometime? like a movie or food, or whatever you want." steve blurted out, but mumbling the last part.

i was shocked, i never would have thought that steve harrington would like me.

he seemed to take my surprised expression and lack of words as a no, and started mumbling again.

"sorry, it was a stupid idea, forget i even sai-"

"yeah sure." i interrupted his rambling, and it was his expression that looked shocked now, like he was trying to process the fact that i agreed.

i laughed at our awkwardness, him soon imitating my action.

"wow, steve, i never thought this day would come. you actually got a girl." robin slides the window open yet again, and steve just laughs and smiles at me.

"well then robin, that means," he pauses to reach for the whiteboard on the inside of the window. "steve, 1, robin, 0." he marked down a point for himself, and i playfully rolled my eyes and laughed at his dorky behaviour.

"yeah y/n, he was only trying to talk to those other girls to impress you with his 'irresistible charm' " she made air quotes with her fingers, and tried not to laugh.

he looked slightly embarrassed, but laughed it off and put an arm around me.

"that was supposed to impress me?" i giggled slightly, and smiled up at him.

"you're not?" he smirked back at me.

"you're such a dork steve." i playfully punched him and we all start laughing again.