• eight •

"No, she's not here."

Terrence looked over Alexia's shoulder and strained his neck to see Lizzo. "Ugh, I can see her sitting over there. Just let me talk to her."

"You want him to come in?" She asked her best friend, while keeping her eyes on him.

"Fuck it." She stepped behind Lexo, "But, if he says one wrong thing, kick his ass."

"Will do." Alexia stated as she opened the door further to welcome him.

"Look, if I knew that you and Courtney felt that way about each other I wouldn't have—"

"Oh, cut the shit!" Lizzo seemed to emphasize each word, "You know you would've taken any chance to sleep with her, whether you were aware of the broken relationship between her and I or not."

Terrence filled the empty space between them, "You seem to be forgetting something."

"And what is that?"

"I am not like the other men you've had in your life. I value a woman's feelings and I don't just get with someone because I want to have sex with them. You should know that. We've been friends for years." He scoffed as he shook his head, "But, I guess we both don't know each other as well as we thought we did."

They stared each other down for a few seconds, Alexia awkwardly waiting beside them.

Terrence took in a deep breath and stepped away from Lizzo, "See you later, Lexo." And the door shut behind him soon after those words.

Alexia nervously spoke to Lizzo, who was now completely silent. "Okay, so it's fine to want to express any type of emotion right now. Scream, cry, laugh...anything."

She heard the words coming out of her best friend's mouth, but she wasn't comprehending them. There was too much on her mind already, making it hard to fully concentrate. She knew that her and Terrence's friendship was most likely destroyed, along with any feelings he had for her.

She turned towards Lexo, her eyes brimming with tears. "All I do is sabotage everything good in my life."

"Now that's not true, Liz—"

"Listen, I appreciate the support." She interrupted, "But I need to be alone. Just leave. Please."

"But—"

Melissa pointed at the door, "Go."

She sighed as she grabbed her purse and keys, "Alright. Call me if you need anything." Then left Lizzo in the silence of her own home.

She laid down on her couch and soon fell asleep.

___

"Another one please." Lizzo slurred as the bartender politely cut her off. "Hey, it is my right to have more drinks!"

She felt a masculine hand against her back and then heard, "Is everything okay here?"

She turned around to see an older black man, mid-40s, wearing very professional attire for a night club.

"No, this sad excuse of a man won't give me more tequila!"

The bartender smirked while whispering, "I've lost count of how many she's had. I can't give her anymore, sir."

The older man discretely nodded, then sat beside her. "Did you come with any friends? I think it's best to take you home. You're going to have a hell of a hangover tomorrow morning."

"No, I came by myself because I've driven everyone in my life away. Especially those romantically involved." She pressed her index finger into the man's chest with every word, "So, you better not get attached to me or your feelings might get hurt."