• four •

"That was a wonderful interview!! Studio, let's give it up for Lizzo!" Zane Lowe said with excitement.

Lizzo smiled and waved at everyone before proceeding to leave the room. As she walked away, she heard, "Next up: Dave East talks about rumors, his love life, and his new album!"

When his name was brought up, she shuttered. And not in the good way. Suddenly, she felt the need to get out of that building as soon as possible. Members of the radio team seemed to get in her way as she passed quickly through the hallway. She knew they were just trying to say a polite goodbye, but she didn't have time for that. She needed to leave immediately.

As she was frantically speed-walking, she bumped into a firm figure. She looked up slowly, afraid of who it was. When their eyes met, her vision became hazy and the sounds around her blurred.

"Long time, no see." Dave grinned, grabbing Lizzo's arm hard enough for it to hurt, but light enough for those walking past her not to suspect anything.

She felt her heart beating outside of her chest, "Look, I don't want any trouble. Just let me go. We both need to move on, okay?"

"Come with me." He grabbed her wrist and dragged her into a separate room, shutting the door and locking it. "I don't want any trouble either. I just wanted to explain myself. I can tell that you're scared of me, and that's the last thing I want. I'm so sorry."

She stood there in awe for a split second before replying, "Where was this Dave when I needed him?"

"I've been such a dick lately, and I've felt so guilty since that night. I never wanted you to feel uncomfortable and putting you in that position was unfair to you. I know our relationship is over, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm here for you."

"It's okay. I do have one question," she sighed and rubbed her arm where he had grabbed her minutes before, "I thought you were mad at me. The way you held my arm, I—"

He stepped closer to her, his face full of worry, "Did I hurt you? I promise I didn't mean to."

Lizzo furrowed her eyebrows, "What made you change? You seem like such a softie now."

He smiled at her words, hesitantly reaching to caress her cheek. She closed her eyes as soon as she felt his touch, mesmerized by the feeling. She had missed him more than she'd like to admit and this moment was something she didn't even know she longed for.

"Can we try again? Do you want this?" He asked as he leaned in closer to her.

Just as he was about to place his lips on hers...

*ALARM CLOCK*

Lizzo's eyes fluttered open and she rushed to turn her alarm off. As soon as she succeeded, she laid back down and went over her dream in her head.

"Dear God, please tell me that wasn't a sign that I still have feelings for him." She thought about it, "No way. No. That's impossible."

She lifted herself off the bed and started getting dressed. After she made herself presentable, her phone started to ring.

"Hi, Alana. Yeah I know, I have that dinner with family and friends and then I have to go meet Chris Brown for that event we're doing soon. I'm all up to date. Alright, thank you. Bye."

She sighed, tucking her phone in her back pocket. She grabbed all of her belongings and walked out the door to drive to her mother's house.

•••

"Hi baby! It's Lizzo everyone!" Shari, her mom, announced with excitement.

She grinned shyly as her aunts, uncles, cousins, and childhood friends rushed to greet her. Every one of them couldn't help but mention just how proud they were of her and how they always knew that she would be a star. You know, the cliché stuff everyone expects their family to say when they make it big in the business.

She felt someone lightly pinch her side and she jumped, then turned around to find that it was someone she hadn't seen in the longest time. Her eyes widened and the man chuckled in reply, before lightly whispering, "Follow me."

He led her into the guest room and shut the door behind him. As soon as he turned back to face her, she squealed and jumped into his arms. He picked her up and twirled her around as she laughed. When he set her down, they took a moment to look at each other and see how much they had changed.

"Terrence! Nobody told me you were coming!"

He was still amused by her reaction, "It was a surprise. I thought maybe I should come by and remind you of what you've been missing."

"Oh, shut up! That big ego never left you, huh?" Her smile faded slightly, "In all seriousness though, I've really missed you. There's so much I need to catch you up on."

"I missed you too." He slid his arm around her waist subtly, pulling her closer to his chest.

She softly gasped and whispered, "Terrence...we shouldn't..."

"Melissa, you know we're perfect for each other. Ever since we've met there's been this chemistry that I can't forget about. You're always on my mind."

"Don't call me that. No one calls me by my full name except for my momma." She tried to squeeze out of his grip, but he held on gently, "We aren't meant to be together, when will that get through to your head?"

He sighed heavily, "You want to know what I think? I think you're afraid of love."

"No, that's not the problem."

Lizzo pressed her hands against his chest, attempting to break them apart from each other.

"Then tell me what the problem is." He raised his eyebrows, waiting for her answer patiently.

She exhaled, searching for an answer. Finally, she mumbled, "I don't like you like that."

"Excuse me? I can't hear you."

She shook her head, "Never mind, I didn't mean what I said anyway." She looked down at her hands, fidgeting with the purple ring she had just bought herself. "Maybe you're right about the love thing. But, I'm also scared of what all the people in the other room are gonna think if we start dating."

"Nope." He said.

"Huh?"

"No." He grabbed her hand and pulled her into the living room, where the group of people she loved most were gathered around.

"Terrence what are you—"

She started but he interrupted, "Everyone, Lizzo and I wanted to tell you something. It's important and you all have the right to know."

He turned to her, finding a new panic within her eyes. "Trust me." He whispered before his lips met hers.

The kiss was sweet and warm. It made her feel comfortable and secure. She could hear those around her whistling, cheering, even a few people happily yelling "Get a room!"

When they released, they pressed their foreheads against each other's.

"See? Everyone's supportive. There's nothing to worry about. Now, do you want to try this for real? Be my girl?"