Miles shoved his hands in his pockets and kicked at a pebble. "Nah, fuck that bitch."

"Miles. She's still our mom."

"Yeah, and she still walked out on us."

"She's trying, is what I'm saying. Give her some credit."

"I really don't care 'bout none of this, Max. I won't talk to her, end of." Miles got especially pissy when talking about Mom.

I told Miles I needed a moment, leaning against a streetlight to catch my breath. Glancing at the quiet street, I spotted Carson's house. Remorse washed over me as I recalled the hurtful things I'd said to him. Deciding an apology was in order, I crossed the street, making my way toward his house.

"Max, what's going on?" Miles called out from behind me.

"This is Carson's house," I explained as we both faced it.

"The guy who passed out in gym class?"

I tensed at the memory; it felt like ages ago. "Yes, that's him."

"Max, is that you?" Claudia greeted me with a gloved hand, busy gardening in the front yard. Her dark hair was tucked under a pink bucket hat, and her floral dress bore the marks of mud.

I waved in response, whispering to Miles to leave.

"Alright, fine," he mumbled as he walked backwards. "This is what I get for trying to be a good brother."

Claudia kept smiling at me. I asked her, "How are you?" and took a step closer.

She wiped her forehead with the back of her arm. "I'm alright. And yourself?"

Awful. "Great. Um, is now a good time?"

"For...?"

"Is Carson home? I need to talk to him for a bit, it's about a school project we're both working on." I added the last part hastily, noticing Claudia's frown.

"Oh." Claudia picked a leaf off her dress. "I'm afraid Carson's sick, honey. Maybe come back some other time."

I was unable to hide my disappointment. "Oh, that's okay then."

"What's going on?" a third voice joined.

Both Claudia and I looked towards the door where Carson was standing. He was topless, and dressed only in basketball shorts. I could see the faint outline of his tattoo — it disappeared down the side of his rib.

"Hi," I said. He didn't look that happy to see me.

"Carson!" howled Claudia. "You're sick, you shouldn't be walking around the house. Go back to bed right away!"

Carson looked at me, then at his mother, sharing a quick exchange. I felt like an outsider witnessing their unspoken conversation through glances.

Then he turned and stomped inside.

"My son's lazy," Claudia said, wiping the back of her damp brows with a gloved hand. "He likes sleeping."

"Don't we all?"