Chapter 1: Mistaken

Start from the beginning

          "You work so hard, Y/N, you need to trust your siblings more. Let them help you." Gran Gran watched the water as Y/N started on the second fish.

          "I know both of them are more than capable, I just feel like, like..."

          "Like you need to prove something to both of them." Her grandmother sighed, following her to the fire as she brought the fish to cook. "They already know you want the best for them, and care deeply about them, you have nothing to prove."

          "I just..." Y/N impaled the fish and threw it onto the sticks that would hold it over the fire. "I just need to be the older sister mom and dad said I had to be. I promised. Then... then mom got killed because I could waterbend, and somehow they knew, and then I had the nerve to teach Katara, and-" 

          Y/N sat next to the fire, drawing her knees up and burying her head in her arms. I just want everyone to be safe. She wiped a few tears of frustration from her eyes, slowly turning the fish over. I want to have control over something, so I know nothing will go wrong...

          "I need to breathe. Can you watch the fish?" She asked Gran Gran, who simply nodded as she got up. Y/N grabbed a simple harpoon and took a canoe out to the water. 

          She rolled her wrists to make the snow push the canoe into the water as she threw her pack and weapon in, jumping in as it began to slide off through the quiet, grey water. 

           Y/N sighed quietly, using her paddle to push off towards more open water, away from the ice and land. Please be safe out there, dad. You should've taken me with you. She stilled, watching the dark, still water around her with harpoon raised slightly.

          Maybe I shouldn't have left them out there like that. Y/N thought after about 15 minutes of peaceful stillness. But Gran Gran said to trust them more... Sokka and Katara were more than capable of handling themselves out there.

          She managed to spear a few more fish, and a flying squid, all of which she wrapped and stuffed in her bag to deal with later. 

          Y/N gave up after another few hours of nothing, sighing and getting up to pull in her remaining nets and pack up her gear. I'll apologize to them when I get back. She reached for the paddle, but paused as she realized it was snowing lightly. 

          "Odd." She muttered to herself, looking up at the clear sky, her eyes widening. Only half of the flakes were white, and it's was more grey. "That's no snow..." Fire Nation!

          Y/N whipped her head around to the West, where the village was. The normal tiny plumes of grey smoke were replaced with a giant pillar of black. 

          Oh no...

                              —|〰️〰️〰️|—

          Y/N wasn't able to beat the ship to the village, despite using waterbending to make the canoe go faster, and snowboarding on a large piece of wood down the hill. 

          The first thing she registered was Sokka trying to fight all eight warriors with his boomerang, and Y/N wasn't sure whether to laugh, be worried, or cry. Maybe all three. Her twin was quickly knocked back, and Y/N slid into the village, jumping off so she stood between the crowd and the soldiers.

          "Why are you here?" She asked, quickly taking out her large hunting knife and harpoon, brandishing both threateningly. "You come to conquer a defenseless village? There are no warriors here."

          The one in the lead stepped forward, noticeably shorter than the rest, which rose some questions. His helmet was open as well, showing his face. And a horrible burn scar. Y/N noticed, looking at his left eye. A training accident? She was having trouble keeping up her brave face.

          "I am here for the Avatar." He spoke, and Y/N immediately realized he was just a teenager. A very angry one. I didn't know they let boys lead so young. Y/N was snapped from her thoughts when a small burst of fire came her way. 

          "Don't test me." Y/N hissed, realizing the attack was purely experimental. She spun her harpoon, dispersing the flames quickly. "You have no business here. Leave immediately."

          "And you call this village defenseless." The soldier shot more fire, and Y/N repeated her defensive action. "I disagree." The teen's expression didn't change, but he spoke with a more respectful tone.

          "You seem more reasonable, you will understand." He stepped back, looking carefully at everyone behind Y/N. "Hand him over, and no one gets hurt. Hurry up. My patience wears thin." I highly doubt Mr. Scarface has any patience at all. He might spontaneously combust any second.

          "The Avatar disappeared a hundred years ago." Y/N said flatly. "I can say quite confidently he is not here. You must be mistaken." They don't look like they'll be leaving anytime soon... She reached out, feeling the frozen water around her and ready to bend it at a moments notice.

          "I think YOU'RE MISTAKEN." The teen screamed angrily, marching forward. Just a little closer and you're dead, buddy.

          "Prince Zuko!" A soldier warned, apparently seeing the look on Y/N's face. Prince? That's the fire nation prince? Zuko didn't heed the warning, spinning around to whip fire into Y/N's face. 

          She didn't have time to think about changing the snow and ice back into water before bending it. She simply shot her arms up, and slabs of crystalline ice blocked the attack, knocking Prince Zuko back in the process.

          Then something wizzed by, and she got a face full of snow.