16. Midsummers Revelations

Start from the beginning

Norman laughed, finally wiping his cheeks and pulling his gaze away from his reflection. He let the girl intertwine their fingers as she pulled him downstairs where Norman's parents were also just about ready to leave.

"Uh, we're picking up Lila, Gemma, and James so I'll meet you guys there," Norman explained to his parents who nodded and bade them goodbye with a smile as he and Alisha got into his car, ready to stop by all of their friends' houses. Soon enough, the car was loaded up and they were able to head to the Cameron's for the party. Midsummers was always filled to the brim with the rich and entitled, but if they were nice enough to the waiters they could sneak some champagne so it wasn't all bad. Even though Norman thought champagne was gross, alcohol was alcohol.

They arrived just in time to see Sarah Cameron make her debut with her family. She looked absolutely gorgeous, but at the same time she looked as if her mind was somewhere else. Thankfully, John B was nowhere in sight. He noticed Kie out of the corner of his eye and sighed with relief as he mumbled something to his friends before going off to see her and Pope.

"Hey, guys!" he exclaimed and Kiara said nothing except for grabbing him in a hug right away.

"Oh my god, Rocky, it has been a crazy couple of days, you have no idea," Kie sighed, "Pope almost got arrested and then JJ did get arrested and it was just a whole mess."

Norman just nodded, "Yeah, I can imagine. I'll make sure to talk to JJ and see if he needs a lawyer for anything because I know he hates me, but still."

"He doesn't hate you," Pope interrupted with a scoff, "That's just JJ's personality towards rich people. If he actually hated you, he wouldn't talk to you at all. Where have you been, though? I mean, you were kinda in it with us for a while and then you just dipped."

The boy sighed, he expected to hear this question but he still didn't know how to answer it. Judging by the confusion in Pope's voice it was clear neither John B or Kiara had told him what had actually happened between the two boys. "Yeah, things got... complicated with John B and I. Let's just say I've made some poor decisions and I don't think he wants me... around anymore."

Kie scoffed, "That boy has like three brain cells, you're probably totally fine. Besides, we like you and John B can't beat three against one."

"Bold of you to assume JJ would vote on my sake," Norman laughed, "but I appreciate the thought."

As the conversation continued, he turned and saw something going down with Topper and Sarah. Clearly, it didn't look like the friendliest conversation. He wondered if Topper knew about John B. If Norman wanted to be the biggest asshole ever, he might be the one to let it slip. He didn't know if he had the confidence nor the malice to pull off such a thing, but he liked to think he would be able to. With a sigh, he turned back around to see Lila and Alisha coming his way.

"Hey, Lish, Lila, how're you guys doin'?" he asked as they approached him, instantly plastering a smile on his face. It wasn't as fake of a smile as he thought it would be, it made him genuinely happy to see his best friends happy.

"This party is boring as shit," Lila said with a laugh, "Hey, you're Kiara, right? Didn't you do a year at Kook Academy?"

Kiara nodded, "Unfortunately, yeah. I mean, no offense to you guys, you all seem chill. But just... yeah."

Alisha laughed as she shook her head, "No, no you're fine, I get it. The people at that school are hot garbage, but so are we so it works, you know? Mad respect for you, though."

"Yeah, sure, something like that," Kie said with a giggle, "Ugh, I can't believe we've all never like officially met before since Rocky started hanging out with us."