Chapter 28 - Olympus

Start from the beginning

Dean frowned at the boat and shook his head sadly. "That won't do, not at all," he said. "The boat just isn't big enough for all three of us. Please, just take my wife into Port Haven and have them send out a bigger boat for me. I will wait here," The man crossed his arms stubbornly and nodded at Indy. 

"I don't know how to get there. I don't even know where I am," Indy said. In a quieter voice, he added. "Or even what I'm supposed to do."  

Indy looked around the island for a clue or one of the symbols but there was nothing to guide his way. 

He looked at Martha and her husband as they stared at each other with desperation clearly visible on their faces. It tore at Indy's heart and there was no way he was going to separate the two of them. 

"Since you know the way, why don't you take the boat Dean? You can send someone back for me."  

Relief washed over Martha's face as Dean considered the offer. "I can't begin to thank you enough..." 

"Call me Indy. Just take care of your wife, Dean. I'll be okay," Indy's words were lost as the lightning and thunder shook the rocks around them. The waves started to pound the little boat relentlessly. If they didn't get going soon, the little boat would be smashed upon the rocks. 

Indy leapt from the boat as Dean took his place. 

The boat dipped slightly deeper in the water as they switched places but stayed afloat. 

Indy grabbed up Dean's backpack and moved to hand it to him. 

"Keep it with my blessing. You may need what few supplies it holds." Dean gave a slight bow of his head and pushed off from the rocks.  

"Thank you and god bless." Martha shouted as the boat drifted away. She was still waving as the boat disappeared in the distance. 

Indy hefted the backpack on his shoulder and began to scout the island. It didn't take long and when he was done, he sat down at the center of the small rock island to consider his options. Something inside the backpack clinked as he set it down. He ignored it as the sun started to break through the clouds. Bright light warmed his face as the sun's rays covered the island in a soft warm glow. 

Indy looked into the clearing sky and saw the sunrays coming through... a hole in the ceiling. He stood quickly and strained his neck for a better look. Small symbols dotted the area around the hole. The twin lightning bolts that made up the Olympus symbol ran around the outer edge of the hole. Indy wished he had kept the boats mooring rope but a second look at the hole told him it would have come up way short anyhow. 

Indy bumped the backpack with his foot and heard the muffled clink again. Out of curiosity, he opened the bag. He pulled out two oblong black discs. Each disc had a raised edge and a thick blue gel coating the inside. The gel reminded him of the sticky surface on the AGPs. Indy studied the two shapes a little longer before a thought came to him. He put the two discs on the ground and slipped his feet into them. When he put his feet into the gel, he felt a slight jolt of energy run up his legs and a familiar sticky sensation. 

Thrump, thrump, thrumpt. 

The discs hesitated a moment before lifting free from the ground and it took a few more minutes before Indy found his balance. Indy hovered in the air a moment longer before stretching his toes out. When that didn't work, he tried jumping. The discs responded by rising slowly up into the air. When Indy tried to crouch down to check his footing, the discs started to descend.  

"Geez, seems like I can't get enough of heights lately. Why does it always have to be heights," Indy closed his eyes and concentrated on not thinking about heights. With his eyes closed, he started to hop. Within a few minutes, his head bumped softly on the stone ceiling high above. He was only a few feet from the hole he had spotted from the ground. Using his hands Indy clawed at the rough stone ceiling and made his way over and then up into the hole.