Chapter 1 - Enter the dragon

The shiny black Ducati motorcycle pulled off the main road and into the diner's gravel parking lot. There was an open spot just under the Flo's Diner sign, so he pulled in and slid off the bike. The rider was a lean young man with short brown hair and sharp green eyes. He wore a black riding jacket and jeans. A black and grey helmet had its visor open to the summer breeze. The young man's bright green eyes scanned the lot and the small town around him. A helicopter buzzed by overhead as a convoy of large green trucks rumbled down the quiet street in front of the diner. Opening his jacket, the young man reached for his cell phone. He re-read an email message he had gotten earlier that morning. 

From: James 

To: Indy 

The flooding around Appleton hasn't subsided yet but the weather looks like it has cleared up. If you still insist on riding your bike all the way here, I may have found someone to help. One of my contacts in town is a young waitress named Joslyn McCloud. Look for her at Flo's Diner when you arrive, she should be on the day shift. 

P.S. I hope you're enjoying your graduation present. 

After putting his cell phone back into his jacket pocket, he headed for the diner. The young man tucked his helmet under his arm and walked through the glass doors and into the diner.  

Inside, the diner's lunchtime crowd was packed into booths and tables. Their chatter filled the air as he made his way through the room. Indy saw an open barstool at the counter and headed over to it. He sat down on the stool, resting his helmet under one elbow.  

He scanned the crowd around him looking for his contact. Most of the patrons were busy watching a news broadcast on the diners overhead TVs. Just then a pretty blonde waitress walked by carrying a full platter of food. The girl looked about his age, around sixteen or seventeen. She was good looking with long curly hair and a bright infectious grin. The waitress gave him a quick wink as she passed but kept moving through the diner. A glance at her nametag told him it was Joslyn. 

A large aproned bartender passed by in her wake, heading towards a large TV mounted in the corner of the room. His large meaty hand reached up to the TV and turned up the volume. The buzz around the room quieted as more heads swivelled to watch the TV. 

"Breaking news... This just in from Appleton, California..." 

"U.S. officials have declared a state of emergency in this small community in northern California. Their problems started last Friday night during a freak electrical storm when several of the town's electrical substations overloaded. To add to their troubles the people there have also been dealing with heavy rains and flooding over the last week. The National Guard is on hand, aiding efforts to help reinforce the town and nearby river with sand bags. The area is still..." 

His view of the TV was blocked by a sturdy grey haired waitress. She had stepped in front of him and was smiling down at him. "Hey there handsome, what can I getcha," she asked. 

Indy smiled up at her and pointed to a neighbour's piece of apple pie on the counter beside him. 

"Can I get a slice of pie?" He asked. 

"Sure thing hon, be right back." The waitress smiled at him warmly and spun away to get his pie. 

While his waitress was off getting the apple pie, Indy looked around the small diner for Joslyn. He spotted her quickly and when he was finally able to make eye contact, he waved her over. When she came over, he smiled and noted her nametag again.