Chapter 27 - Hades

A short flight of stone stairs rose up along the towers curved wall. Candles flickered in sconces along the wall lighting his path in a dull warm glow.  

At the top of the stairs, there was yet another door. The symbol on this one showed a burned and cracked planet, surrounded by a glowing blue circle. Something about the symbol raised goose bumps on his flesh. If he remembered right, it was the symbol for Hades. 

The door swung open at his touch. Beyond it laid a burned and broken... shopping mall. The mall spread out in front of him with closed and barred shops on either side of a long hallway. At the far end of the mall, behind several glass doors, he saw a shimmering aurora. 

Figures moved around on the other side of the aurora but he couldn't see much from this distance. Indy headed for the shimmering lights at a quick pace. Without warning, a small dog darted at him from out of sight and nipped him on the leg. The dog's sharp little teeth dug into his leg just above his ankle. Indy cursed at the dog as it ran away to whatever hole it came from. Indy watched as the little dog ducked under a metal gate fronting a sporting goods store. At the back of the store, Indy caught a glimpse of a black swirling vortex that flickered with small bursts of lightning. The vortex throbbed with a dark hungry power Indy could feel in his bones. He had taken several steps toward the store without realizing it. When Indy walked head first into the half-closed security gate, he stopped. Adams warning came back to him then. 

The black vortex seemed to fade a bit as he watched but he was distracted from its hypnotic motion when his ankle started to throb with pain. Indy knelt to check the wound and saw little droplets of blood seeping through his sock.  

More growling came behind him as a large pack of dogs came around the far corner of the mall. These dogs were all in rough shape. Each dog was lean to the point individual ribs were clearly visible. The thick black hair covering their bodies was matted in spots and dark patches of skin hung like flaps from their legs. As he watched, each dog fixed him with a burning red gaze. Thick black smoke puffed out from their mouths as they stared at him. Indy turned and ran for the far doors and the aurora beyond. 

The pack of dogs growled and took up chase. Only a pair of double doors blocked Indy's path to the aurora. The first of the doors opened with a quick tug and closed behind him just as a dog rammed into it with a thud. The dog snarled and bit at the glass but wasn't able to break through. Indy yanked on the next set of doors but they were barred shut. 

He banged on the door. "Let me in," he screamed. The aurora shimmered just on the other side of the glass and three people came running to his shouts. Each of them wore a long black coat and high leather boots. The clothes he could see under the cloaks were also a thick black leather. 

"A survivor!" The first one to the door called. 

"Get him inside," the second black cloak cried. 

"Wait, remember the rules." Cautioned the third. 

The three in black each wore a thick metal grill over their mouths, hiding most of their face. They also wore dark sunglasses that hid their eyes and gave them a dark sinister look. The glasses shifted up and down as they looked over Indy and his clothes.  

"Have you been bitten?" Asked the first in a stern but hushed voice. 

"You can't come in if you have been bitten," said the second. 

"You'll kill us all if you are infected." Warned the third. 

All of the dogs had reached the doors now. Each snarled and threw itself at the glass doors. Already the glass was fracturing and little black smoke clouds seeped through. 

Their words gave him pause, time to think in the chaos of the moment. Indy thought he was going to die if he didn't get through those doors. But what about those people inside, if he really were infected, he could bring death among them. Others had grouped up behind the three upon hearing the disruption. Men, women, and children stood watching him, waiting for his answer. He couldn't take the risk. He didn't know if he was infected but it was something he couldn't take a chance on. 

"A small dog bit me just a few minutes ago," he said in a whisper. 

The crowd gasped and some cried in horror. 

The three in black nodded their heads in understanding. 

Several bloody black muzzles were through the glass now and Indy's shoulders slumped. He was out of time and options. 

"We know," said one. 

"We saw," said the second. 

"You must flee," said the third. 

They all pointed to a fire exit between the two sets of doors just feet from him. Indy didn't recall seeing the door before but he didn't hesitate.  

Indy ran for the fire exit door and not a moment too soon. Glass shattered behind him as the dogs broke through. He ran at the fire exit and shoulder charged his way through. Spinning quickly he slammed the door shut behind him.