Baggage

~Eight years later~

"Drink up, you deserve it!" Cynthia beamed.

"It is not a big deal Cynthia." Genevieve blushed and covered her face in her hands as her staff entered her office with cakes and balloons. "It is not everyday that you become a multimillionaire. And at the age 29." They all cheered.

"I could not have done it without you all." She uncovered her face finally smiling.

"Please. When you first began interning at the godawful business, I knew that you had potential. I am just happy that you bought me along for for the ride." Genevieve smiled. She remembered the abuse she suffered at the hands is Howard and Clyde. She remembered the inappropiate advances made, the sleepless nights, the tear soaked pillows. She also remembered their faces as she bought out that lackluster insurance company two years ago. The only good thing that came of that experience was neeting Cynthia. Cynthia Raymond was one hellava personal assistant and Gen's confidant. Only Cynthia knew about Mark and her heartbreak, she even told her about Solo. She had not seen him since that night and could not help but be slightly curious about his well-being. Her mind traveled back to one of her favorite memories.

"Will you stop!" She shouted shielding her ice cream with her body. They were walking back to campus after stopping at an ice cream shop. Solomon would scoop some of her ice cream out of the cup before she could stop him, "Why didn't you buy your own." She glared as he said nothing, continuing to eat his own ice cream.

"Sharing is caring."

"I don't believe in sharing."

"You do not care about me?" He sniffeled and wiped away fake tears, while placing a hand over his heart.

"I never have." She said hiding her smile.

"You wound me Eve."

"Eve?"

"Short for Genevieve?" He sent her a duh look and she just shook her head.

"Eve... I've never been called that before. You can just call me Gen, like everyone else does." She replied picking at the chocolate chunks in her ice cream.

"No."

"No?"

"Everyone calls you that, so I will not refer to you as just 'Gen', you will be Eve. My Eve and only I can call you that. Got it missy?" He said teasingly.

She met his warm brow eyes abd smiled, "Eve huh?" She thought about it, "Only if I get to call you Solo."  She grinned.

He raised his eyebrow at her, she shrugged. He leaned over scooped a large chunk of his ice cream out of her cup and whispered, "Deal." before running away from a fuming Gen.

"Solo!" She yelled, chasing him.

"Genevieve!" She snapped back to attention, "You checked out on us." Cynthia grinned at her boss. She thought the girl accomplished yet troubled. She knew about her college experiences but nothing about her family and suspected that Gen prefered it that way. She knew what boundaries not to cross.

She smiled sheepishly, "I apologize. You all, take the day off." Everyone gasped and she laughed, "What? It is not everyday that you become a multimillionaire. Go home rest, tomorrow we resume work. Now go." She ordered in good spirits. Her executives congratulated her once more before all filling out. "You too Cynthia."

"Have a good day boss." She left laughing. Genevieve turned her chair and faced the window. She noticed the sun, setting behind the skyline and smiled to herself, happy. She remembered the promise she made that morning in her apartment, and reaffirming it after beating Howard to a pulp after his hand became too familiarized with her thigh. She decided would not allow herself to be at anyone's mercy ever again.