Grounded

They drove in silence, not saying anything. "Take this left." She said drowsily while getting comfortable on the soft leather seat.

"You went to this college?" He asked nodding to the right.

"I go." She muttered correcting him. "Right." He turned. "It's my junior year."

He rubbed his chin in thought. "What are you majoring in?"

"Business Economics." She dozed a little.

"How is it that I have never seen you before?" He was a junior at the same college but his major was business administration and entrepreneurship. He planned to start his own business, be his own boss. Her silence caused him to glance over. He saw that she had fallen into an alcohol induced slumber and made a mental note to lecture her later about it. He glanced over again, saw her burrowed brow and pouting lips and smiled. No female had ever been so rude to him before and he found that he liked the spitfire. She is into business too. He mused. When they arrived to where he knew the female housing was he gently shook her awake. "Genevieve wake up, we're here."

"Five more minutes Mom."

"Genny Dear, you must awaken for school now!" He said in a high pitched voice, she groaned and flipped him off. He got out of his car, walked around, opened the door and scooped her up. "Which floor?" She held up five fingers and he just shook his head smiling slightly. He flashed the guard their student identication cards and he laughed nodding at her.

"Long night?"

"You have no idea Phil." Phil laughed again and pressed the elevator button for Solomon. He knew Solomon was safe and even wondered why that was the first time he saw Solomon and Genevieve together for both were so similar in their ambitions and habits. He figured that if they had not done so already, they would click.

He stepped out of the elevator, "Genevieve which one?"

"Fifty-one." He walked to the door. Before he could ask, she held up her keys. Inside of the spacious apartment he walked her to the room and laid her on the bed. He took off her shoes but was careful not to touch anything else. When he was done, he covered her with the blanket and turned leave. "Solomon, thank you. By the way," she snuggled into her pillow, "chapter 18 will be quizzed on Monday."

"How--"

"Textbook in your back seat." He smiled and left making sure to lock the door behind himself.

***********

"You cannot still be angry at me Gen!" Sydney whisper-yelled. Gen just ignored her and listened to the Professor's lecture. "I'm sorry. I could not resist Rob! Besides, I looked for you, you were nowhere to be found."

"I was at the bar all night," She hissed. "and you had the keys so I could not just leave after you went missing." The professor dismissed the class.

"I am sorry!"

"Well sorry didn--" her remark was cut off when she collided with a hard chest.

"Watch where you're go-- It's you!" They grinned at one another.

"Excuse me, but who is this?" Sydney asked checking him out.

She rolled her eyes, "Solomon. He was my ride home on Saturday."

"You let a stranger bring you home. How scandalous!" She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively. Gen groaned and shook her head while Solomon watched amused. He noticed in the daylight the streaks of red in her dyed blonde hair which had been cut into a short bob and her twinkling green eyes.

Gen ignored her friend and faced Solomon. "I never had a chance to thank you properly for Saturday."

"Ooooooo gratitude. I bet you have a lot to thank him for." Sydney cooed and Gen blushed at the insinuation but shushed her.

"Let me buy you a coffee? You know, for thanks?"

"Yeah sure. Besides, I could use a little help with Chapter 18." They agreed to meet in an hour at the cafe. Walking away, Gen rolled her eyes at a gushing Sydney.

"If you hush, I will give you my notes."

She smiled, "I am forgiven!" Gen could not resist grinning at her.

Hours later Solomon and Gen sat in the cafe laughing at everything and anything.

"So what," He asked seriously, "is it you plan to do after graduation next year?"

Gen thought, "I am not a hundred percent sure, but I love business. The thrill of negociations and interacting with executives, it's all so very appealing. I do know for sure that one day, I will be my own boss." He saw the determination in her eyes and was awed by her intensity. He had seen the same look in his mirror for as long as he could remember but never on someone else until Genevieve.

He looked at her in new respect, "I get you. I really do."

From there, the two became friends, constantly around the other. They knew everything about the other, protected one another, and told each everything from secrets to their deepest desires. Everyone thought them more than friends but they both knew the truth and that was all that mattered. They spent long nights texting, studying, arguing but never would they succumb to the constant pressures to date.

People were proved wrong when Solomon and Gen would date other people. They supported each other financially, academically and emotionally. They pigged out together during breakups, supplied coffee during test weeks, and danced like idiots at the bar. Each kept the other grounded. People preferred their comrades to their bickering. Once those two started, it would not end until either Solomon bought her oreo ice cream in apology or until he recieved pepperoni pineapple pizza from her. They were two peas in a pod.

********

Months passed age and  before they knew it, they were weeks from graduation. She lay on her bed wearing basketball shorts and his tshirt. She frowned as she noticed his puckered lip and burrowed brow. She sat up. "Solo, what is it?"

"Cindy is being moody again." Gen just laughed. "Why can't she just be like you? You know somewhat normal?" Gen punched his arm playfully and laid her head on his chest, and looked at him.

"Let her cool down she will call you crying and apologizing tomorrow." She assured him, rolling her eyes. Her phone blared the Kim Possible notification signaling a text. He laughed at it.

"How old are you?" Solomon laughed again when there was another one.

"Mark." She sighed reading the text.

She and Mark had been steady for about 6 months yet Gen still gushed at his name. Where Solomon was dark, he was light. He had long blondish hair and a baby face nothing like Solomon's chiseled features.

"Mark." He mocked in a breathy voice. She blushed but ignored him texting Mark as Solomon surfed the web on his. A little later he glanced over and saw that she had fallen asleep, phone still in her hand. He took it gently out and could not help but notice the unsent text she must have been planning to send. I love you. It read. He shut off the image and rubbed the area over his heart. Eh, must be heart burn. "No more spices for now." He added as an afterthought. He fell asleep shortly after, his best friend in his arms.

A/n
Details of specific occurrences will happen later, I'm just doing setupbecause I want to get you the present and really let the games begin. I hope you enjoyed would leave a vote and/or comment. Thanks for reading!