Burden

"Congratulations! You've done it!" The Dean beamed.

Gen laughed with joy as she too tossed her hat into the air. She caught it and met Solomon's warm brown eyes. She worked her way through ocean of students to him and he to her. Just as they got close enough, Gen was forced to step back as someone swept past her. She noticed Cindy in the arms of Solomon and hurriedly looked away as they kissed. She was grabbed from behind. "Congratulations Love!" Mark kissed her like never before and she could taste the alcohol. She hurriedly pulled away but still beamed, a little concerned.

"Have you been drink--"

"Solomon!" Mark hurriedly left her side, pulling Solomon into a hug which was completely out of character for both men shared a mutual dislike for the other. He is definitely drunk. She mentally confirmed annoyed. She loved Mark but did not agree with his drinking habits. He promised to stop but she guessed he broke his word. She knew firsthand what drinking did to people and still grimaced when she thought about that Saturday night she met Solomon. She had kept drinking to a minimum since. She watched a little embarrased as Solomon kept Mark from falling. Mark grinned at him, "Thanks man, now if you would excuse me, my girl and I got some celebrating of our own to do." He said laughing loudly, wrapping his arm around her waist. Genevieve smiled at Solomon slightly.

"I'll see you later Solo." But he was already being led away by Cindy who babbled about him meeting her parents. They both were led away only having a second to spare a glance back.

******

"Mark I said stop!" She pulled her shirt down.

"How long are you going to make me wait? He shouted.

"I am not ready."

"It has been 7 freaking months, how long do you need? You're a damn prude." She stared in shock. "Unless you're waiting for Solo," he mocked kicking the desk over and she flinched. "I hate to break it to you sweetheart but he and Cindy are serious so I'd stop pinning for him."

The tears she had been holding fell. She cried not in sadness but anger. "You drunkened fool. I've never thought about him that way. Never! I was not going to sleep with you because I did not feel comfortable enough yet but now I know for sure that I was right."

He grabbed her roughly, "You Bit--" He was cut off when she slapped him.

"Don't you dare disrespect me, you put your hands on me again, you will regret it." Her eyes moved south for emphasis.

"I got with you for the lay but I must give you credit, I never thought you'd last this long." He slurred.

"Get the hell out you bastard."

"If I remember correctly, you're the bastard here." Gen swallowed her rage.

"Get. Out."

He held up his hand, "Okay. Okay. Maybe I'll stop by Sydney's, she's always willing." He left slamming the door behind him. She hurriedly ran and locked it, sinking to the floor. Sydney? Mark. Lord. She swallowed a sob and searched for her phone, and called who she could count on most.

Solomon laid Cindy on the bed and was taking his shirt off when the sound of Aerosmith's Don't Wanna Miss a Thing blared. "Wait, it's Eve." He said pulling out his phone.

Cindy grabbed his phone and turned it off. "Eve can wait. Seems she always comes before me." She pouted.

"But--"

"Solomon. No, why do I always have to compete with her for your attention? Mabe we should just break--"

"No. Cindy it is not like that. She is my friend..."