12 : The Anchor Lakey

Start from the beginning

[Sukie laughs]

SUKIE:

Whatever keeps your head above water.

[Blaire catches her breath. There's a stilted pause]

BLAIRE:

Yeah. Exactly.

SUKIE:

So, what're your first impressions of the town? I imagine it's a bit of a shock if you've been all over the world. You could probably fit most of Anchor Lake's population on one of those giant planes.

BLAIRE:

Yeah, it's ... different. I didn't know what to expect before I got here – it was the last thing on my mind – but it's quiet. Very quiet. And so small. I don't think I've ever been to such a small town before, but maybe a change of pace will be good.

SUKIE:

I hope so. And it's really nice to meet you – it's so refreshing to have a new face, especially someone my age. I have to say, most people seem to try to get out of here as soon as they can, so the average age of the population gets a bit higher each year. Hopefully your arrival means it will drop back down to, oh, maybe sixty-five?

[Blaire laughs]

In all seriousness, though, welcome to Anchor Lake. It may not be much, but for most of us here, it's the only home we've ever known, and I really hope you're able to carve out a little piece of it for yourself, too. As a listener of The Anchor Lakey, you'll always have a friend, and there'll be place in the history books for you.

BLAIRE:

Considering the make-up of this town's history books, I'm not sure I want that.

[She chuckles. Sukie gasps]

SUKIE:

Oh, god, no, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that. I just ... you're one of us. Our town's history binds us – as I'm sure you know from listening to me babble about it on each episode – and you're a part of that now.

BLAIRE:

Thank you.

[She pauses]

I...

[She coughs]

I've never really been part of anything. Wow, that came out a bit pathetic. What I mean is, like, I've never been to a school and I've never had siblings and I've never even really had friends, so I've never had that community, you know? So I really appreciate what you do, and what you're doing.

SUKIE:

Thank you, Blaire. That means a lot. All I ever wanted to do with The Anchor Lakey was bring people together and be able to share and communicate, and to help us all be aware of our history.

BLAIRE:

There's a lot of history for such a small place.

[Sukie laughs]

SUKIE:

Yeah, we're drowning in it.

[Blaire swallows hard]

So, as an outsider, a newcomer to the town and a new listener to my disconnected thoughts, do you have a first impression of The Key to Anchor Lake? Am I right to assume you haven't read it yet?

BLAIRE:

No, not yet. I tried to get it from the library but it wasn't available.

SUKIE:

Story of that book's life. There used to be a few more copies, but it's been, like, twenty years since it came out and I think they've got lost or been stolen since then.

BLAIRE:

But I know the outline, from your podcasts. I think I've listened to nearly twenty of them, so I'm getting a pretty good idea of the book. Unless you've had any major revelations in the past two and a half years.

SUKIE:

Unfortunately not. Spoiler alert: you can listen to all eighty-four million minutes of my analysis and questioning and you probably won't understand any more than you did at the start.

BLAIRE:

No, you're really good. I like the questions you ask – they interest me, and even after only the first episode, I was hooked. I couldn't get enough. After less than half an hour, I wanted to know everything there is to know about the town and the book. So, yeah, good job. I think it's really well done.

SUKIE:

Thank you. That means a lot.

BLAIRE:

Any time. I love listening to you and Oli. You have a great dynamic.

[There's a pause. Sukie clears her throat]

SUKIE:

So, as someone who hasn't heard every episode or sat through book club, or read Mary S Nesbitt's book, do you have any insights? Anything that sticks out?

BLAIRE:

Not yet. I'm still trying to get my head around it. But I'll let you know if I ever have a brainwave. I'll warn you now, though, that's not really my style. Most things seem to go over my head.

SUKIE:

I doubt that very much. Maybe you're exactly what we need: a fresh set of eyes. Perhaps you'll see what we need to unlock The Key to Anchor Lake.

BLAIRE:

I guess we'll see.

SUKIE:

I can't wait! Well, I think that's enough for today, I won't put you on the spot any more! Thank you so much for agreeing to this interview, and for chatting to me – so candidly, too. I'm sure I speak for all of my listeners when I say it's great to have you here, Blaire, and I look forward to bringing you up to date.

BLAIRE:

Thanks, I look forward to it too.

SUKIE:

Okay, thanks for tuning in again, folks! You've been listening to The Anchor Lakey with Sukie Watanabe and Anchor Lake's newest resident, Blaire Bloxham. See you next time!

*