Drama Queen.

During the journey to the airport, Georgia and Freddie talked animatedly in the front seat while I hugged my cramped legs in the back. Paris flew past us and soon we were surrounded by busy roads and countryside. The farther we were from the house and William Darcy, the better I felt. If nothing else, the trip had made me realise that William and I were from entirely different worlds, and I had as little interest in occupying his as he did mine. I was happy to remove myself from him, his society, and anything else so totally out of my reach.

Freddie and I, at least, parted as friends at the airport. The closest we came to affection was a kiss on the cheek and a promise that we wouldn't be strangers. It wasn't a promise I was sure that I could uphold. I intended to follow a more realistic path in life from that point onwards. The moment that I was out of school I would be a normal, average girl again, and I couldn't see Freddie being a part of that life. I would regret the end of our friendship forever, but I needed to let him go along with everyone and everything else.

England was wet, grey, and everything I thought it would be. The airport was busy with people heading home after visiting relatives overseas, all returning from more tropical climates to the dismal reality of their lives. Georgia and I made our way through baggage claim and security in relative silence, both emotionally and physically exhausted from our time in France. At the taxi rank I asked, 'Do you want to come and stay a few days? Talk about stuff.'

'I shouldn't. But, thanks.'

'See you at school?'

'Definitely.' Georgia hugged me tight and then climbed gracefully into the waiting cab.

I headed back inside the airport to catch a train from the underground station. The cost of a taxi from London to Cornwall would be enough to put me into debt until I retired. Rail tickets weren't much better, but at least I had enough cash for one of those. I found an empty seat and sank into it. The one beside me was soon occupied by a man who fell asleep almost as soon as his backside was in the chair, so there was no danger of conversation with a stranger.

I scrolled through my address book until I found Dad's number. He picked up after a few rings; he'd probably been in the middle of working instead of closing up for the holidays like any sane person would. I cleared my throat and said, 'I'm on my way home.'

'You're early.'

'Gold star, Dad. I know. Paris sucked.'

'Your mother won't be happy with me.'

'She'll get over it. Anyway, she paid for my flight change. It's fine. I need to wash stuff before I go back to school, anyway. Have you got anything in for dinner?'

'Er...'

'Order a pizza or something. I'll go shopping tomorrow.'

'Okay, I'll see you in a few hours. Do you want me to meet you at the station?'

'I'm fine. I can walk.'

'I can send one of the boys, if you'd rather...?'

I'd had enough of boys to last me a lifetime.

'No thanks. See you later, love you.'

'Love you too, Elly-bear.'

Idiot.

Still, I was looking forward to a few days of peace. My phone beeped at me before the screen went black. I should have charged it, but I'd been too preoccupied to do anything that sensible. I dug around in my bag for a charger when an envelope dropped onto the train floor. Deciding it was potentially more interesting than anything happening on social media, I pushed my phone into my bag and picked up the letter instead.

 Deciding it was potentially more interesting than anything happening on social media, I pushed my phone into my bag and picked up the letter instead