Chapter 13 - Safe and Sound

A/N:
!!SMUT WARNING!!

My eyes open and I look around slowly. Mateo is sitting in a chair beside the bed asleep. He's the only one here, probably because it's early in the morning.

I lift my hand up a little and drag my finger down his nose. He flinches and his eyes shutter open after a bit. He looks up at me and his eyes widen.

"H-Hey..!" He smiles happily and cuddles against my arm. I smile in return and run my hair through his hair.

"Hey." I look around again then at the IV in my arm, "What exactly happened?" I look over at him. He bites his lip nervously and sighs.

"So you and Kylie got into a car crash.. she broke her legs and got a major concussion, while you broke your wrist, busted the back of your head down to your skull, and a broke jaw, along with some cuts and bruises of course." He takes a breath in, "I mean, you crashed into the side of a mountain. Why were you guys even driving in that weather?"

"I told her not to.. but she didnt listen." I turn to look at him again and tilt my head, "Did you see a book.. anywhere when you came?" He raises a brow and shake his head.

"I can ask one of the doctors if they saw one. I know your books are important to you." He chuckles a little and I sigh, smiling sadly.

"It was her birthday gift to me. It was a photo album of us together since 2nd grade. I really liked it." I smile and look down at my hand.

"Today is your birthday..?" He looks at me and I nod slowly. He looks down and puts his head into his hands.

I hear a faint whimper and look down at Mateo.

"Are.. you okay?" I tilt my head and run my hand through his hair again. He chuckles a little and rubs his teary eyes.

"Yeah, I'm okay. I just thought.." He drifted off and started to just stare at me. I smile softly and he smiles in return, "thought i would lose you." I frown at his words and caress his hand, looping my fingers through his.

"I'm a fighter. No way I'm going down that easily." I rub his palm with my thumb and smile. He stares down at our hands.

"Your mom is really worried. Along with your sister and the rest of us. Except maybe your dad." He sighs, staring at the wall now. I nod slowly.

"Yeah. My dad.. never really liked me. I mean, yeah, I'm his son, but they always favorited Hannah more. She has perfect grades and pretty looks. I was always just, the punching bag." He stiffens beside me and looks at me now. I can't find myself to make eye contact with him.

"Punching bag?" He mumbles, barely audible.
I look down at the bed sheets again and he takes my hand into his, locking our fingers and bringing them up to his lips.

"Yeah, but it rarely happens.. I always just make an excuse." He presses his lips to my hand and lets them linger for a moment before departing from them. He gave me a small smile and stood up, leaning over and pressing his lips to my forehead.

"I'll go out and call your family informing them you're awake—" I pull on his sleeve and shake my head.

"I only want you right now.." I look up at him while he tries to hold back a smile and nods, sitting back down beside me.

I fall back asleep shortly after.

••••

A few days later, they released me from the hospital. I was thankful considering I was over all the nurses and doctors coming in and out of my room.

Privacy, anyone???

I sit in the car and stare out the window. Mateo sits next to me, fast asleep.