5: I Needed a Father

Penelope came to my desk with a stack of papers and said, "All the information on Jimmy Homer and his father," I tried to grab the papers but the jerked them away and said, "Did you know that Franklin Homer is your father?" 

I sighed and said, "Yes, please don't tell anyone." She looked at me and said, "Come, follow me," so I stood up and went to her, what she calls lair, and she sat me down and said, "Spill, new girl."

I messed with my hair and started talking, "It's a long story and I'm not up to tell anyone." I guessed she could tell that I was upset and said, "Okay, but let me tell you this... Our team will profile you and they will ask questions," and she handed me the papers.

I thanked her and walked to my desk and started to pack my things.

I came back to my house and started making dinner because I skipped lunch. I sat down looking at the papers of Jimmy and realized he was also innocent and deprived of his childhood. I looked back at the letter he sent me and on it, there was a phone number.

I picked up my phone and dialed the number, it rang three times and then I heard, "Hello?"

I froze at the sound of his voice and he kept saying, "Hello? Who is this?"

"Hi, this is Alexandra Montgomery... um, your half-sister," I said not know what else to say.

He immediately perked up saying, "Hey, you actually contacted me. Thank you. I honestly didn't think you would."

I laughed and said, "Me too. I was debating on if I should or not."

He laughed and said, "Yeah I understand. One day you get a letter from a random guy and have no idea if it's true or not."

"Yeah, Are you living in Afganistan?"

"Yeah, I was born here and raised in Afganistan, but I am moving to America in a few months."

"Where are you moving to?"

"In Virginia, my dad said you live there so..."

"You're trying to get close to me?"

"Look I know it's weird that I am moving close to you but please understand I have no one anymore."

I sighed and said, "I get it but you had a father most of your life, but I started out with nothing, no one."

There was silence and then he said, "I thought you were with your mom?"

"My mom gave me up for adoption right when she had me," I said confused.

Silence once again and he said, "Have you read the letter from your dad?"

I said, "No and I am not going to for a while. I am not ready."

"Okay but I think it's worth reading because it has information about you and your mother, and I believe it has your original birth certificate."

I hung up without warning and went to the envelope that had my father's letter and started reading.

Dear Alexandra,

Hello, I am Franklin Homer and I am your father. I found out that I was your father when a man named Jason Gideon searched for me because you were recently taken out of your abusive adoptive parent's house. He had asked me to take care of you, but I refused because I had Jimmy and wasn't ready to have you in my life. 

I didn't know who your mother was because I was a stupid teenager who had sex with many women, and yes I do regret that time of my life. I want to apologize...

I stopped reading the letter because I was mad. He didn't want me just like every other father I had in the system. Jason was the only father figure in my life and that's it. 

I started to cry when my phone rang and I picked it up trying not to sound sad, "Hello?"

I hear laughter and music coming from the phone and hear Emily saying, "Hey, Alex I am having a girls night you have to join."

I tried my best to sound happy but I ended up crying saying, "No thanks have fun," and Emily noticed and asked, "Are you okay? What's wrong?"

I didn't say anything and tried to calm down and said, "Don't worry, I'm fine. Enjoy your girls night out, see you Monday," and I hung up.

It was 6 PM and I was sitting on the couch eating ice cream from the container while watching Grey's Anamoty on Netflix. 

I heard a knock on my front door so I go and look through the peephole and see Penelope at my doorsteps. 

I opened the door and said, "What are you doing here and how did you get my address."

Penelope laughed and said, "I hacked the pentagon you don't think I can't find you." 

"Okay that's true, why are you here," I said laughing a little.

She walked in and said, "Emily said you sounded upset and so I decided to check on you."

I looked at her and just started crying saying, "I always wanted to know my biological father and now he is dead and I have a half-brother who wants to know me. I don't know what to do. I don't even know the beginning of my story."

Penelope tried to calm me down but I couldn't stop crying. I told her about the letter and she read Jimmy's and Franklin's letters but I told her not to tell me what Franklin wrote.

After that, we ate ice cream and watch many Netflix movies and she left late at night. I went to bed feeling a little better and so I decided to read the rest of Franklin's letter.

 I want to apologize for not taking you in when you needed someone. I regretted that decision now. I wish I could be here telling you about myself and what I do but I was too ashamed to see you again. 

To be honest I don't know how old you are today because I am writing this letter two months later after Gideon contacted me. I want you to know that you have a half-brother Jimmy and my wife Izzabell. I hope if you are reading this now at least Jimmy will be alive to tell my stories to you. 

Please forgive me for not being there for you and I hope you find your mother too.

     Sincerely,

     Franklin Homer

 'I might be able to find my mother' I thought to myself. 

I wanted to forgive him and I wanted to get to know my half-brother but I kept thinking, 'Where was he when I really needed a father, and why was I next to Andrew?'