Chapter thirty three - In which you learn how to dance

Start from the beginning

"I can teach you, it's not hard. Come with me." he told you, holding out his hand. You took it and allowed yourself to be led away down the steps of the hall to outside on the grass, casting a slightly alarmed look back to Sif, who simply laughed and waved. Out of the corner of your eye you saw Loki stood next to Frigga at the far end of the room. If you were being totally honest with yourself you were a tiny bit disappointed, having half hoped that someone else would offer to teach you how to dance...

Outside it was cool; the sun was low in the sky and the sound of insects was loud in the air. They sounded like crickets; were there crickets on Asgard?

"So, there are two different types of dance that you need to know. One is just a casual dance and one is a group dance." Fandral explained.

"A group dance?!" you repeated fearfully. He laughed.

"Don't worry, it's really easy. I'll show you the casual one first." he reassured you.

He really was ridiculously good looking; you found yourself staring at him as he taught you the basic steps. Thankfully, he had been right: it was easy, and before long he had you dancing in circles on the grass with him, one hand holding his and one hand on his shoulder.

"You're a quick learner! Now for the group dance, it's more of the same really..." he said, once again going through the basic steps with you. This one was slightly harder to practice as it involved turning to your left at the end where you would end up dancing with someone else.

"You've got it." Fandral told you happily after about five minutes of practicing the same steps over and over again. You sighed in relief, glad that you weren't going to look like a fool in front of everyone. Well, less of a fool anyway.

"You're a good dancer." he complimented you, leading you back up the steps to the hall. A few people were already dancing; you didn't know if you could cope with that just yet. You needed to have at least another drink before that happened.

"Thank you for teaching me." you smiled, and he bowed deeply.

"It was my pleasure."

You spotted Thor, Sif and Volstagg stood together nearby watching your exchange in amusement and you made your way over to them, swiping a wine glass from a passing servant as you did.

"Having fun?" Thor asked, his eyes sparkling and his cheeks red.

"Yeah, Fandral taught me how to dance." you told him, grinning at how happy and at home he looked.

"Come on then." Thor said, handing Volstagg his drink and holding out a hand to you.

"Oh, no Thor, maybe in a minute - hey!" you protested as Volstagg plucked your drink from your hand and Thor dragged you to the middle of the dance floor.

"This is not gentlemanly." you reprimanded him, as he mock bowed to you, making you laugh. You curtseyed sarcastically (if you can curtsey sarcastically?) and then he offered you his hand again, which you took, and started to dance. It was actually quite nice once you got used to it; you became more confident as you moved around the dancefloor with Thor, who was an exceptionally good dancer. Lots of people followed suit once you and Thor began to dance, and before long you were in the midst of a flurry of swirling dresses and tailcoats. Thor laughed aloud at the expression on your face which was one of pure joy: this was amazing! You were sad when the song ended; there was a polite round of applause and then a new, slower song began to play.

"May I?" a voice requested from behind you, and you turned to see a man you had never seen before holding out an arm.

"You may." Thor answered for you with a grin, and he raised his eyebrows at you before you reluctantly let go of him and accepted the stranger's arm. Thor turned away and was instantly met with about five other women waiting to dance with him.