01

surprise, surprise, this chapter did not change at all

i didn't have the 'urge' to change this backstory so enjoy~

x

"Mommy?" A young boy stood in the kitchen. Long, black hair reached his shoulders with a black shirt to match. He was small for a nine year old but still able to reach her waist.

"What's up, bubs?"

"Why do you always wear those two rings?" He pointed at her hands. She had one ring per hand but was always looking at her right hand, where a plain black band wrapped around her finger.

"You see, this ring on my right hand is my soulmate's ring. I've never met them before, which is why it's so dull. Once I meet them, it'll glow a beautiful shade of gold."

"How was I born if you haven't met your soulmate then, Mommy? I thought people couldn't date anyone else."

Her eyes widened and she let out a soft sigh. She gently pushed the young boy out of the kitchen. "Go finish your homework, Xu Minghao. I better not see any bad grades anytime soon."

"Aye, aye Mommy!"

x

Three years later:

"Mom!" Minghao yelled from across the house. "Tomorrow is my birthday! I get my rings!"

"Yep," She continued to mop the floor from his muddy boots in the living room. "You'll have two rings, and you remember which will be yours, right?"

"The one on my left hand."

"Good job. Now don't stay up and expect to see it appear; it only appears when you're sleeping, okay?"

"Yeah, I know, Mom. I'm going to go hang out at Jihoon's, I'll be back soon!"

She looked up, but he was already gone. "Bye, my Min."

x

"Mom?" Minghao shook his mother awake, startled by his rings. He had tears streaming down his face and his pajamas were coated in sweat. "Mom!"

"Huh-"

"Why are there four rings?"

"Four? Are you seeing things?" She quizzed as she rubbed her eyes. "Turn the light on."

What he said was true; he had one ring on his left hand - black band with gray smoke trapped inside. It looked like it was banging against the glass, trying to get out, only to fail. On his right hand were three rings, each with their own concept.

"I-I'm a freak, aren't I?"

"Sweetie-"

"I see kids getting bullied and called freaks for having more than two rings. That's me, right? I'm a freak now?"

"Mingh-"

"I don't have two, I don't have three, I have four. I don't want to be bullied, Mom! They treat the kids like trash and pull them out of class just to call them the words you tell me to never say and people try to pry the rings off and they beat them up and I- I don't want to live like that!"

He stormed out of the room, crying, before she could reassure him everything would be fine.