Tempus Fugit

7. Tempus fugit

Irene flinched as she felt something strong and quite forceful envelope her waist and she awoke with a start. She tried to fight the strong arms that held her captive and trashed about as she was lifted from the bed in a fluid motion.

"Will you stop?"

The woman froze and blinked against the light and her own panic, as she felt one arm sneak under her knees. Holding her bridal style, was Sherlock Holmes himself, who was frowning unkindly at her.

"Mr Holmes...?" Irene asked and her voice was still thick with sleep. "What time is it?"

"5:55 AM," he replied as he turned around with the woman in his arms and walked to the door.

"You know, you're supposed to lift a woman into bed, not out of it," she yawned and relaxed into his arms. "What are you doing?"

The man carried her into the living room and explained as he put her down in his arm chair, "I need your opinion on a case. I called John to get his opinion, but he didn't answer his phone. I'm left with you."

Irene opened her mouth as her tired mind searched for words. "And this couldn't wait an hour or two? Until I'd awoken naturally?"

As if the idea was preposterous, Sherlock frowned. "No."

Certain this was another part of his mental deterioration, the woman sighed. She tried to quickly work through the options in her head, and at last asked, "Is this a reaction to my marriage?"

The man's frown intensified as he put both hands behind his back. "You were married?"

"Are you serious?"

The thought that Sherlock had somehow forgotten about that vital piece of information disturbed the woman. John had once told her that Sherlock Holmes knew just about everything, but would forget things he considered unimportant. It hurt her ego now, to think information about her was something the man filtered out. She quickly raised her left hand and flashed the tan line on her ring finger.

"Yes, yes, I remember,"The man nodded in sudden recognition. "The answer is no. And even if it could have, why would it? You should stop flattering yourself, Ms Adler."

"And you should stop denying what you know is true, Mr Holmes," the woman gazed up at the man.

"What I know is true and what you are pretending I know aren't compatible in the real world, Ms Adler."

The woman sighed. Sometimes, it was easier to talk to a wall than to Sherlock Holmes. But she couldn't stop now, she needed to push him for answers in order to figure out the source of his problems which seemed to be rapidly building to a dangerous culmination. In her most challenging voice, she whispered, "Something isn't right with your mind. Tell me I'm wrong."

The main raised his chin and glared at her. "You're wrong."

Irene squinted her eyes and rose from the chair as she approached the pj-wearing man slowly. "No. This time, I'm not wrong."

The implication to her words were clearly not lost on Sherlock as his posture stiffened and he glared back at her with a murderous stare. The muscles in his jaw tensed before he swirled around. "I haven't revealed why I woke you yet, aren't you curious? Then again, I'm starting to think I shouldn't share anything, for risk of you slipping through my fingers. We don't want you to run to Moriarty and tell him all my secrets, do we?"

"I don't work for that man. How many times will you make me say it?" the brunette sighed in exasperation and crossed her arms over her chest in defiance and frustration.