Chapter Eight: The Highlands

All Rights Reserved

Copyright © 2012 by Amber Hanscom

Chapter Eight: The Highlands

@Cailen's P.O.V.@

The wind whipped wildly, tossing her long golden locks around her, as if they had a life of their own. Her face was tinged pink from the chill in the air, but not once had Cailen heard her complain or whimper. He watched as Hannah dragged a pile of debris to the fire pit, a look of determination on her face. Cailen's gaze wondered from her face to her hands, the dainty digits were covered in ash and dirt.

Any other woman would have gladly stayed inside the warmth of his castle, leaving such work to the men folk of his clan. But not this strang lass who spoke to him as if they were equals, challenging him with every word, every look, and every step she took.

She was an abnomally. She fascinated him, and bewildered him all at once. She left him gasping for air, brimming on the cusp of frustration and respect.

This lass will cause me more trouble than I can handle, Cailen thought sagely as Hannah marched back up the hill towards him.

"Are ye yet done proving yer point lass? Or will ye be staying out here long past sun set?"

Hannah fastened her blue eyes on him-those damnable, bewitching eyes that made him think of bluebells-a familiar expression of rebellion sparking to life.

"I'll come in, when you do." she said as she brushed past him.

The brush of her bare arm sent ripples of fiery heat through his chest. Cailen stiffened against the strange sensation, balling his hands into tight fists at his sides.

He watched her go, her hips swaying with every step, the way her hair flowed, unbound in the wind.

What was this girl? He wondered. She was a conundrum, a puzzle he couldn't solve. She was fiery and bullheaded. Yet considerate and kind. She had honor and a strong sense of responsibility when it came to the people she cared about.

She was so drastically different from the women he'd known in his twenty years of life-women who had seen only his titles and lands, his pretty face and hefty purse. None of them had looked at him the way Hannah had-she gazed up at him with those shinning bonnie blue eyes, looking at him and seeing him as a man, not as a Highland laird.

"My laird!" came a shout from behind him.

Cailen turned to see a rider bounding down the hill side towards him. Cailen's mussels tensed, preparing to fight. But as the rider bounded closer his suspicion evanescent, replaced with a wide grin.

"Douglas!" he crowed as he met his lifetime old friend.

Douglas Mcallister yanked on the reins of his sable stallion, coming to a stand still. He was a rugged man, with long russet locks that were woven into intricate braids, a scruff of beard edged around his sharp jaw, making him look quiet the gentleman. A sash of dark forest green plaid stripped with a pale blue was tossed across his cotton shirt, the colors of the proud Mcallister line.

Douglas flashed his old friend a bright grin as he swung down from his stead. They clapped one another warmly grinning.

"How are ya, boyo? Word o' yer troubles reached as far as Glenbuchat. I came as quickly as I could-my men arn't far behind," Douglas said as he surveyed the damage of the castle. "I must say, it isnna as bad as I thought it would be."

Cailen nodded in agreement. "We were lucky, my friend. It's thanks to Hannah-"

"Hannah, now?" Douglas asked, his eye brow jutting up in playful curiosity.

Cailen scowled, continuing. "Aye, Hannah acted quickly, she's the one who burned down my tower! Because o' the fire the McKinnon scum fled with their tails between their legs."

Douglas glanced around. "Where is this fiery she-devil that nearly coast ye of yer home?"

Cailen laughed, pointing towards where Hannah tossed debris into the burn pile. Her dark gold ringlet thrashed back and forth in the wind, and even from a distance Cailen could see the flush of pink seeping into her cheeks from the cold. His eyes slid curiously to his friend, measuring his reaction to the strange girl.

Douglas' face was an understandable mask of confusion-and awe.

"Who is she to ye? A maid?"

"Nae, she wandered into the castle one day, near a fortnight back. She ran right into me cashing her damned cat-Kentings or Clarks or something she calls it. She was the strangest sight I e'er seen, Doug-dressed in breeks, wearing a snug coat and shirt, parading around like a mad woman."

Doug's brows disappeared completely into his hair line. "And ye let her into your home?"

"Aye, and I do nay regret it-she lights up a room when she smiles, and she has the damnedest temper I e'er seen." Cailen spoke passionately as he watched the girl at her work.

She was strange-but for whatever reason Cailen admired her odd caulities-her brazen actions, her temper, her kindness, her odd, but amusing speech. She was the oddest puzzle.

A great guffaw from Douglas broke Cailen from his thoughts. His friend was grinning at him like a cheshire cat with a mouse.

"What is so damnably amusing, Mcallister?" Cailen asked his temper rising, in short he couldn't stand to be mocked.

"Ah, my dear ol' friend," he said between spurts of body shaking laughter. "This is quiet amusing."

"An' why is that?"

"Why, Cail! You're falling for the wee lass even as ye stand her and watch her at her work."

Cailen balked. "What?"

"I guarantee there will be a wedding at Balnagown Castle come the spring."

And with that Douglas Mcallister started off, whistling a happy tune as he went. Cailen watched as his friend marched off, bewildered by his words. Helplessly, his eyes found Hannah, who was making her way back from the burn pile. He watched her, dissecting her every feature, every motion of her body. Wondering, considering.

She was stubborn, strange and the temper of a spit fire.

Could he truely be in love with such a girl?

_____________________Author's Note____________________

Hey my Highlander buddies!! I apologize for the shortness of the chapter and the longass wait. I would like to thank EVERYONE who has contributed-whether you simply added the book to your library, voted, fanned or commented-you are all rock stars-or rap stars, country stars whatever float yer boat!

xoxox Until Next Time!!!