Chapter Fourteen: Sold

~~~~DEDICATED TO: ScottishJam & fruitcup8!!!! Thank you both from the bottom of my heart for your support!!!!!!~~~~

All Rights Reserved

Copyright © 2013

Chapter Fourteen: Sold

@Cailen's P.O.V@

Cailen rode from Balagown with the fierce intensity of a force of nature. He urged his stead forward, the huge roan colored stallion's hooves tearing up the lush green earth. Anyone who saw him would have mistaken him for some hellish, mythical rider, or some otherworldly agent from hell, for he moved with impossible speed. One thought alone had Cailen racing across the green braes of the highlands; and that was Hannah. Hannah with her strange, outlandish stories and insane notions of men and women and the world. Hannah, who had taken his heart without notice, or explanation. Who had appeared out of no where, like a fierce force of divinity.

The old legends were riddled with tales of divine women falling from the sky, wrapped in their sacred robes of power. Was Hannah one of those women? A goddess come to earth, all light and bliss confined in a single human being. Her smile, her laughter, her heated gaze, the tilt of her chin when she thinks hard on something, or the way her blue eyes turn crystalline when she smiles. If he never saw again, if something unspeakable happened to her . . . .

Nay! Never! Cailen viscously shook the dooming thoughts from his mind, as he dug his knees hard into the animal's sides, urging it onward. Hannah was fine, he thought savagely. He would bring her home, to Balagown, and all would be right. And by God's holy fire, he was going to kill Tavish MacKinnon!

With a wild cry he spurred his stead on ward, over the lush hills of the highlands and towards MacKinnon's keep. His riders were just behind him, with him was Douglas, his hand and half sword in hand. That night they would raise hell, and make sure that MacKinnon rued the day he had ever said the name MacBain.

With a savage cry, Cailen MacBain spurred on, racing towards the spot where Hannah was kept captive, his beat of his heart whispering one word, and word alone.

Hannah. Hannah. Hannah.

@Hannah's P.O.V@

The next six hours or so I spent being manhandled, and insulted. After McKinnon had stormed out a gaggle of sturdy looking maids were sent in. They pounced on me like wild cats on a helpless fish. They torn the beautiful dress, and forced a hideous, drab brown shift like dress that itched in the most annoying places. They tried to yank my little sapphire studs from my ears, but after a long bout of slapping and name-calling, I managed to make them back off. Next were my slippers, and then the beautiful pins that Daisy had pinned my hair with.

They took the treasures clucking and hackling like a bunch of old hens. I was fuming by the time they left. Then, shortly after that, a guy who looked like he could take on both Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson and turn them into mince meat came barreling in, slapping heavy iron shackles on my wrists and ankles, tossing me over his shoulder and carted me out of the room. I did not go quietly. I screamed so loud I'm pretty sure I busted up his and half the castle's eardrums. I twisted, kicked, clawed and bit any part of him I could reach. He cussed me out, shaking violently, rattling my brain loose.

I didn't give up with a single minded viscousness, I sunk my teeth into his neck, digging in until the fowl, coppery taste of blood settled on my tongue. The hulking brute let out a scream that I can only describe to somewhere between a Justin Beiber Fangirl scream and a cat's wail. He immediately threw me to the ground. I hit the stone floor hard, the force knocking the breath from my lungs. Pain rocked through my back and hip like wild fire, demonic and consuming every bit of me. I sucked in a breath and scrambled to get to my feet even as the Hulk charged at me, grabbing a fistful of my hair and wrenching me to my feet. He shook me like a rag doll, sprays of spit and saliva splashing my face as he ranted in his brutish tongue.

"Ye stupid bitch! Hellion, she-devil wench! I swear I'll box yer ears in-"

"Bowen! Enough! Put the wench down before I be boxing yer ears in!" McKinnon bellowed, swooping like an a golden knight.

The man-Bowen-released me without hesitation, dropping me to the ground like a vat of hot coals. My head smacked the ground hard, stars danced across my eyes, twirling and hopping about causing the room to tilt. I gasped, my hands throbbed and were stiff and burning from my efforts to escape. Dammit, I should have taken Weightlifting with Stacey and Mia!

Rough hands snatched me from the ground forcing me onto my unsteady feet. MacKinnon gave me a quick once over before cursing and muttering;

"The Sassnech will hae my head for a mistreated slave! He wanted young, healthy and able bodied-what am I ta tell him about the bruises Bowen?"

"Tell him she fought, tell him she fell down the stairs; I donnae care! She's a wicked little chit an' she deserves what e'er she gets!"

And with that I shoved down a corridor, out through the archway and into the early morning air.The sky was caught between night and day, I could still see a few stars out, even as the sun made its journey up the hills. A wagon was out in the middle of the square, with a thick dusky cover over the back where a man with a protruding belly, a bad combover, and the face of a bulldog waited. He was dressed in rich satin clothes and finely made hose. Huge gem stones decorated his finger, stars winking on its surface as they caught the light.

He reminded me of my Digital Design teacher, Mr. Beckum.

He waddled towards us, his Sultan like stomach jumping up and down as if there were kids inside bouncing on a a bungee cord. His beady eyes devoured me in a single glance, his pudgy lips curling into a smile that made my stomach drop.

Oh, god.

"This be the gel then? Pretty little thing, she'll be bought and sold right quick, she will." The man said as he rubbed his piggy fingers together.

"So I'll give you ten guineas for her." MacKinnon let out a loud Barack of laughter.

"Ye think I'm daff man? Thirty guineas was our agreed price, an' thirty gone as it will be! Now pay me and take the damn hellion, she's a wild one. I advise ye donnae get too close."

Mr. Piggy, my clever name for him, grumbled venomously, as he dug out a heavy bag that jingled as he weighted in his palm. Reluctantly he handed the purse over to MacKinnon, who was more than happy to take the purse off of his hands. MacKinnon took a moment, tossing it from one hand to the other, and lifting it up to his ear, listening to the coins jingle.

"This'll do nicely, take her away then!"

Bowen was on me again shoving towards the wagon's back. He tossed the covers aside to reveal a cage. Wan faced women and moon eyed children were huddled together, dirty and frightened out of their wits. A heavy, wet blanket of fear was thrown across my shoulders. I struggled furtively, my efforts useless. Bowen wrenched the cage door open, shoving me inside. I skid across the rough wood floor. Splinters bit into my bare skin, drawing blood.

I struggle to my knees in time to see Bowen slam the cage door shut, securing it. I threw myself at it, my hands curling around the bars.

"No! Stop it! No! Let me out! I'm not a slave! I'm not a freaking product to be traded, I'm a goddamned human being!!" I shouted as I shook the bars with every ounce of strength in my tired, battered body.

"Knock it off!" Came the flustered shout, followed instantly by a hard whack that was dangerously close to my head.

I slumped to the floor, a deep, hollow feeling spreading out through my chest. This was it, this was how it was going to end. Cailen wasn't coming. I was going to be sold into slavery, worked until I dropped dead. I would never see my parents, never see home again . . . and I would never, ever see Cailen. This thought hurt me the most. I pulled my knees up to my chest, buried my face in the scratchy cloth of the drab dress, and cried.

I was doing a lot of that lately. Crying was becoming an annoying second nature for me. I cried and cried until I couldn't cry anymore. Then I cried some more, for home, for mom and dad, and for Cailen and the time we could have had together. The pain and dooming unknown of tomorrow was too much. I closed my eyes, and offered myself up to the sweet oblivion of sleep.

* * *

When I awoke it was to the broken, muffled sobs of children. I lifted my head groggily squinting into the dim light. They sat, huddled together, two boys and three girls all between the ages of maybe eight and twelve. They were scantily dressed, with dirt smeared across their faces, knees and arms.

I sat up slowly, bracing my back against the bars. The wagon rocked and groaned as it made its way down the road, all was quiet saved the whispers exchanged between the other captives, the cries of the children and the off key singing of Mr.Piggy. I turned my attention to the woman who was sitting with the children, murmuring soft words of love and safety. I looked from her to the children, who watched me curiously.

"Um, hi. I'm Hannah," I say as I plopped down beside them. "Who're all of you?"

The woman smiled tightly, showing some slightly yellowed teeth.

"I am Claire-Claire Buchanan. This is Bobby, that one's Micky, they're brothers. The wee ginger girl is Susie, and the dark haired one's Beth, and the light haired one is Alexandra, named for the King." Claire explained like a proud mother.

"Why are they here?" I asked as I ran a hand through Susan's hair. "There shouldn't be children put up for slavery-it's barbaric."

A look of sadness washed over her face. Her gaze averted mine, to the tops of the children's heads. "Some . . . Some were taken while others were . . . they were sold by their families in order to pay taxes. These are hard times, and with the King so ill . . . the country as a whole is in chaos."

I listened in shocked silence. Selling their own kids? Their babies? The very idea revolted me. I kept my mouth shut, wrapping my arms around little Susan and drawing her into my lap. Glancing around I was met with the same hopeless, terrified expression as the one I wore. Suddenly, I knew one thing for sure; I could either join the masses and wallow in self pity, or I could put on my big girl pants and make better of a fucked up situation.

I turned to the kids with a smile plastered on my face.

"Who wants to hear a story?"

______________________________________Author'sNote____________________________________

I know I promised action but . . . Stuff happens. In my life news I am on spring break. Spending time with my best friend at his house. Relaxing at the house and read quite a bit. Speaking of books I found the Outlander books!!!! I've started on book 1. I was reading the Dear Reader bit and zeroed in on two words. I run out of my room to my mom, throwing the book over my head screaming; "SHE LIKES DOCTOR WHO!!!!!!!!" Because mom and I do not agree on the epic awesomeness of doctor who, even though she watched it when she was young.

This, of course, sold me on the books even more. As you noticed above I have dedicated this chapter to Scottishjam and fruitcup8!!! The two of you are just . . . Amazing is the only word that comes to mind. You two always vote and comment. You have both been a major reason why I rush to get these chapters posted. Thank you both!!!!!

Okay, chapter 15 *headspins* whoa!!!! Chapter 15!!!! That is mind blowing!!!! We have come so far T-T. I never dreamed this story would be what it is today! Anyways!!! Chapter fifteen will be up soon and we will be in England :D yay!!! England!!!! I'm sort fascinated by all thing UK. I love BBC America channel, movies and all that :) I look forward to seeing you all soon!!! Read, Vote, Comment and New Comers come Follow me!!!! Come over to the . . . Er, polite, really sarcastic side :p

Xoxo Amber