Chapter Twenty-Four: Once Again a 21st Century Girl in a 21st Century World

All Rights Reserved

Copyright © 2013

Chapter Twenty-Four: Once Again a 21st Century Girl in a 21st Century World

@Hannah's P.O.V.@

My world was an unwavering abyss. I heard nothing, saw nothing. There was only me. I was floating aimlessly, bouncing from here to there, never coming to a stop. My head spun, my stomach churned to the point I was certain I would be sick. I tried to raise my head but a wave of nauseating dizziness had me flopping back against the soft pillows of the bed.

Huh? Bed?

I pried my eyes apart staring up at the white tile ceiling, fluorescent lights pulsating rhythmically over my head. I gasp for air, but none came. My eyes flicked over to a vent, little white strings fluttering in the air condition powered breeze. My heart started beating erratically. A loud and rapid beep, beep, beep-ing started blaring, my eyes darted over to the EKG machine that sat kitty corner to the cot I lay on.

My heart dipped, a cold, terrible feeling taking root in my stomach. I looked down at the tubs and wires that were latched to my skin, running up to an IV and other machines I couldn't name.

I was home.

The door to the hospital room opened and a nurse dressed in pale green scrubs came in, her eyes going wide at the sight of me, as though she was as shocked at seeing me as I was to be there.

"Oh lord!" she gasped, and before I could say anything she was running from the room shouting out something I couldn't quite make out.

I forced my unwilling, aching body to sit up, gripping the bars around the bed for support. The door burst open once more, this time to reveal my parents. My heart leaped with indescribable joy at the sight of them. My dad with his thinking brown hair, his Harry Potter glasses askew, as though he'd fallen asleep wearing them. My mom, who was an older version of myself, her blond hair swept up in a messy ponytail, dark circles heavy under her blue eyes. They wore identical expressions of wordless relief and disbelief on their faces.

"Mom? Dad?" I croaked, my throat as dry as sandpaper.

Mom let out a gasping sob as she ran across the space separating us, throwing her arms tightly around me. Dad followed her lead, wrapping both of us in a tight, crushing embrace.

"Oh, sweet," Mom sobbed, her voice thick with tears and almost impossible to understand. "I thought . . . I was so scared!"

"Mom," I choked out, struggling to breathe. "I-I'm sorry."

They drew away from me, mom looked stricken-eyes and nose siren red-and dad . . . dad looked the worse. His face all pale and swallow, as though he hadn't slept in weeks.

"Sweetie," he stammered. "Where were you?"

"Wh-what?"

"Honey," mom began ,voice thick with tears. "Don't you remember anything?"

Yeah, mom, sure do. I time traveled to 12th century Scotland, fought battles, was kidnapped, sold into slavery, and got engaged to a highlander.

"Um, no, it's, um, it's all really fuzzy."

Dad picked up from there, his voice unsteady. "Y-you left the car an we hadn't noticed how much time had passed. When the road was cleared we called for you, but you didn't answer."