The Raven Cries

Tomioka Giyuu isn't much of a talker. He doesn't get along with people and is rather reserved. So when a young child asks him to be his friend, you could only imagine his shock. While he accepted, he didn't think it would bloom further. He thought it would last only for a few days, maybe weeks. But he was proven wrong. You kept coming back to him, kept trying to make him happy, kept sending him letters. You were so persistent.

You stayed with him.

And you were always the one to start things.

You were the one to initiate conversations.

You were the one who started sending him letters.

You were the one to invite him over to your home.

He couldn't feel more grateful, he felt so warm and happy with you. He was so attached to such a small and ambitious child. So much that he felt as though he was apart of your family - like you were his younger sibling. Even though he rarely smiled, he was happy. He wanted to make sure that you were kept safe and naive to the world. He wanted to stay by your side if he abandoned his title as a hashira. He thought it would a nice gesture to visit your place unannounced as a surprise. After all, there wasn't anything to be done right now, a lot of the missions were being covered by other hashiras and demon slayers.

He made his way through the village, noting the whispers. He blocked them out into tried to focus on his goal, but these whispers didn't seem good. Giyuu continued through the village, taking a few turns to get to the mountain. He heard someone call out to him.

"Young man! If you plan on going up that mountain, avoid the house." An elderly lady called out to him, her voice laced with concern and caution. Giyuu turned to the woman. He was confused, why avoid your house? Your family and the villagers had a good relationship, so why are they telling people to avoid it?

He nodded, not really taking her words into consideration. He was going to see you anyways, regardless of what others told him. He stood at the base of the mountain, trekking his way up the path to your minka. In all honesty, Giyuu would be lying if he wasn't somewhat excited to see your expressions when he arrived unannounced. The hike was rather long as the path would something wind around, not to mention some parts were quite steep. Once he got near the top, he could see that something was wrong immediately, he scrambled towards the minka, only to stop and pause in shock. The doors to your lovely home were smashed in with wooden splinters littering the ground. He got closer, his eyes fixated on the doorway.

What the hell happened?

Giyuu stepped closer, getting in the doorway. He stared at the ravaged insides. There were scratching, broken planks, more wooden splinters. He wandered through the house, getting to the room where you all slept. He barely was able to get close enough to witness the horrors. There was dried blood covering the entire room. Splattered everywhere, on the futons, on the ceiling, on the wall, on the floor. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what happened.

Giyuu fell to his knees, trying to comprehend what he was seeing. He puts his face in his hands, an uncomfortable weight growing heavier in his chest. "...Damnit!" He clenched his teeth, unable to bear the pain. He stayed like that for a long time, refusing to move from his spot. He wanted to disappear, he should've known better than to get close to others.

'Aniki!' Your voice rang in his head. Whenever he wasn't motivated, you would always give some kind of encouragement, always putting it at the end of the letter. Somehow you always sent that message at the right time. He stood up and investigated the rest of the house. Everything else seemed fine, if not a little messy, nothing out of the ordinary.

He walked outside, noticing the mounds of dirt off to the side. He could only guess that those were your graves. He went to the graves, noticing that there were only three. Each of them had something that represented the family member. The one on the right had your father's items that he would bring for travel with a large stone in the middle of the mound. The one in the middle had your mother's geta shoes and favorite flowers. A medium-sized rock placed in the middle. And the one on the very left had Yoshitarou's blanket. On top of the fabric was a small rock, almost like a pebble.

'There isn't a fourth grave, and none of [Name]'s items on here. So are they still alive...?' He stared at the mounds, the familiar pain in his chest returning. He stayed there for a while. "I'm sorry I wasn't there to help... I'm very grateful for what you had done for me." His solemn voice whispered.

He left the mountain, giving the minka one last goodbye. If [Name] was alive, he was determined to find them.

No, they have to be alive.

But what is they were a demon?

What was he going to do?

How was he going to find them?

Giyuu could only hope that you were safe.

"Please wait for me, [Name]. I'll come get you."

--------------

 【 Taisho Secret !】

[Name] mostly calls people '-san'. Unlike other children, they usually ask the person if they are comfortable with it. But [Name] often slips up. And when they slip up, they never notice. Giyuu is fine with being called aniki, he actually likes the title. He also makes sure to keep [Name] pure. Any kind of cursing is quickly covered up and anything vulgar is not explained.

[Name] wishes that they could act more like a child, but at the same time, being very educated becomes handy when arguing with others.

----------------

---------------

Wheww

Just a little short chapter to devastate you all. Your anguish only further encourages me muahahaha!