There is a Flood for a Drought

You burst out of the minka, the door having already been knocked off. You hugged your father's haori closer to your body as you ran down the mountain. It proved to be quite a challenge to not trip over the haori, but you managed. Heavy pants left your mouth as your bare feet stumbled over rocks and sticks. You were in too much of a rush to care. You didn't know what to do! Your eyes stung as the cold air blasted your face, hot tears trailed down your face while other droplets flew into the air. You were halfway down the mountain by now, but you tripped over a large branch.

Falling, you let out a yelp, flailing your arms around. You crashed into a big puddle, soaking your front with cold water. You got up and wiped your face but faltered when you saw your reflection. Blood was sprayed on your face, your neck was coated with a dried layer and you could see a faint outline that looked like someone had bit or stabbed you. Your eyes had changed, looking paler than usual. Your pupils were a dark shade of [e/c], and your iris faded from dark to light vertically. A ring surrounded the pupil and your hues were bordered with a light band of [e/c]. Your hair was also the same color, but the roots were a lighter shade of [h/c]. You opened your mouth to gasp, but when you saw your teeth, you were shocked. Your canines... Oh god. There were much larger and much sharper, probably so sharp that they could pierce through skin if you wanted to.

You covered your mouth out of shock, only to uncover your mouth to notice in your hands. 'My hands!' Your nails had gotten longer and sharper, but they feel stronger than normal nails. You stared in shock at your transformation. 'What happened to me? Why-'

A small jingle made you pause. A figure drew closer and a nervous sweat began to form on your temple as you could hear their footsteps crush the leaves underneath. The person gave a small 'ah'. "It appears I was too late." The voice was croaky and sorrowful. You looked up and your eyes widened at the sight. It was the same old priest who had given you those rice grains.

"M-Mr. priest?" The blind man smiled sadly, nodding. He stared at your disheveled soul with a sense of familiarity in his clouded eyes. He helped wipe off the blood on your face and neck.

"I'm sorry, I was not quick enough it so appears. Please forgive me, child." He gripped your hand gently and brought you back up the mountain. The rings on his staff clanged against each other ever so softly. "I had sensed something was wrong, and it appears I was unfortunately correct." Your big eyes stared at him, tearing up as you whimpered softly. He noticed this and stopped, turning around and kneeling slightly to engulf you in a hug. "Come now child, cry as much as you want. It doesn't make you weak." His voice was soft and hoarse, providing you with comfort as he slowly stroked your head. Your bottom lip trembled violently as your hands balled up into fists. You let out a wail and rested your forehead on his shoulder. Tears bubbled out of your eyes like a leaky faucet as you hiccuped and sobbed.

"Okaasan! Otousan! Yoshitarou! I'm never going to see them again, aren't I? I don't them to leave! I want them to come back! I didn't even get to say goodbye! I DON'T WANT TO BE ALONE!" You wailed and sobbed. "I won't ever get to laugh with them! I can't see Yoshitarou grow up! I can't live out my dream!!!" The old priest rubbed your back, a small, sad smile on his face.

Such a small child should not have to experience this.

------

The old priest brought you to your home. Just looking at it made you want to cry. He went to the side of the minka and asked you to help him dig three big square holes. Confused, you simply nodded. He made a shallow outline while you made it deeper. They were all quite big and were all the same size. The priest then went inside the minka. You waited outside for a bit, too numb to think. That was when he came back out with the mutilated body of your father. You flinched and turned away, the familiar feeling of sorrow coming back to haunt you, even though your eyes burned from how dry they were. You could hear the priest taking out your family's bodies and placing them in the holes. You then heard him pour the dirt on something. You turned around and saw him burying your family.

Hesitantly you joined him, feeling incredibly uncomfortable with the whole ordeal. You felt stuffy and shaky, unable to focus your eyes on the task. You felt a warm hand on your shoulder.

"Don't push yourself, child. You can let me do it."

You blinked before shaking your head. "I can't do that. It wouldn't be nice."

The two of you continued in silence, you stopping to calm down every few minutes. The aching in your chest would suffocate you. When you two had finished, all the mounds have been packed tight with small stones and flowers to decorate. The blind priest gave a prayer for them, mumbling out words you couldn't understand. You stayed at the graves while the priest walked over to the path. "I'm so sorry..." You croaked out. "Please f-forgive me...!" You swallow as a few small tears escaped your eyes. It hurt so badly, as you cried briefly, your eyes burned and were so puffy they almost looked swollen. You took a deep breath and brushed away the tears.

You went to the front, making your way to the priest. Though something drew you to the ravaged home. You gathered up the courage to walk in, looking at the mess. With a deep breath in, you exhaled through your mouth as you looked at the house one last time. You left to go to the priest's side, tugging on his sleeve. He looks down at you, a smile ghosted his lips. "Ready to go?"

You turned around, peering at the land one more time.

"Yeah."

------

"Mr. priest? What am I going to do now?" You questioned solemnly. You had reached the base of the petite mountain and were wondering where to go next. "I don't want to stay in the village anymore. I'm scared that people might talk about me."

"I'm sure that won't happen." He replied gently.

Shook your head, "I don't want to be near

"Why not come with me? I take after other children as well."

"Are you sure? I don't want to cause problems for you."

"It's okay." He walked ahead, probably in the direction of his home. You stared at him, the sun shining a warm light on your skin.

"Mr. priest, what's your name?"

"Getting tired of calling me 'Mr. priest' huh?" He chuckled. "My name is Uesugi Otokichi. Just call me Otokichi."

You nodded, following after him. You could only wonder what will happen to you now.

------

A man grinned, his ruby eyes glinting with excitement. "Finally! A demon who can conquer the sun! This is a miracle, a true splendor!" He guffawed. "I was right to choose that one!"

He suddenly stopped and frowned. A sinking feeling resonated in the pit of his stomach, the thought of that demon made his guts twist.

"But something is wrong with that one... Why can't I...?" He could feel it in his chest. Yes, he was correct, something must've happened while he was transforming them.

Something completely abnormal...

------

【 Taisho Secret !】

Giyuu is very protective of [Name]. He honestly doesn't know why he's so protective, probably because [Name] is his best (living) friend and his a child, despite how mature they may try to act. Ever since the first visit, if he wasn't busy, Giyuu would go to the [Last name]'s house to spend time with them. Giyuu enjoys [Name]'s company and considers him as a sibling at times. Once Giyuu almost beat up a man for saying something mean to [Name]. Imagine what he would do if [Name] got hurt.

------

Yay another chapter done! I'm actually having a lot of fun coming up with ideas.

And you get to meet the priest again! I hope I made him likable. Also, just as a notice, there are somethings inspired by Dororo. I just can't help but think of it.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I wasn't too sure of my self when I was writing it. I hope I can make longer chapters as well in the future!

I'm sure you guys can guess who talking in the last part ;)