The Lull of Rain

Today was another day you were traveling with your father. You were still too small to walk the entire time, so your father opted on pulling a cart with you in it. You needed to reach a stopping point, night had fallen and your father was looking around hastily for a place to sleep. A large village up ahead seemed like the perfect place!

His tired arms pulled the cart, you hopped out from the back to join your father in the front. He looked quite tired and you would often ask him to take a break. You knew better than to ask him if you could pull the cart, last time you tried that your feet slip and you hit the pavement. Thinking of the memory made you cringe.

Deciding to find a place to stay first, you ran ahead despite his calls. The warm summer breeze brushed against your skin, your kimonos were worn loose in the summer with no haori. You asked around, your small, feeble voice almost being covered by the villagers. A kind woman offered to guide you to a nearby inn and the two of you made a nice conversation on the way there. The inn was small and cozy, a warm light illuminating from the inside.

"[First name]! Don't ever run off like that again! You made me so worried," Your father arrived behind you, panting lightly. You looked down guiltily.

"Sorry otousan, I just wanted to find us a place to stay so you wouldn't have to continue pulling the cart..." A large calloused hand patted your head.

"Don't sweat it, kid. Let's get inside," He turned to the woman, "Thank you for taking care of them." He bowed slightly, the women waved it off.

"Oh, don't worry, your child is so cute!" She gushed, swaying side to side while imaginary bubbles and flowers bounced around her. You flushed red and turned your head. She giggled at this. He chuckled and nodded. You turned around to try and hide your red face (although your ears gave it away), finding that kicking up dirt is more interesting. The woman turned to your father, her expression serious. "Be careful at night, some children have gone missing as of late." She spoke quietly, trying to avoid your attention to not scare you. Your father nodded.

"Thanks for telling me." The woman bowed and left, waving goodbye to you. You turned around and waved, giving a loud "thank you". She giggles once more and disappeared into the crowd.

After waving goodbye to the woman, your father asked inside if there was a place he could put the cart, most likely somewhere in the bad of the inn. He and you took out the items in the cart and carried them in, then you and your father booked a room to stay in, dumped your stuff in the corner, before heading out to eat. The two of you walked around a lit-up market. The gentle breeze would occasionally play with your fluffy hair, brushing against your bare shins at times. You both made your way to a nearby udon shop. Though something caught your eye.

A tall man stood off to the side with his head turned. He had black hair tied into a low ponytail and cold blue eyes. His haori was solid red on one side and a geometric design on the other side and he wore a uniform. Something that struck you was the sword hilt attached to the side of his belt. He must have felt your stare as he directed his attention to the crowd, somehow spotting your tiny four-year-old body out of the sea of people. You both made eye contact, only for you to cut it off quickly and enter the shop.

You sat next to your father, somewhat anxious with the tight space. Your hometown has never been loud, other than festivals, of course. And living on a tiny secluded mountain didn't help either. You stared off into space, jumping when you heard a large clatter in from of you. Your father had slammed a large (in your opinion) bowl of udon in front of you. "Eat up kiddo, we've got a long day ahead of us." Nodding, you clasped your hands together, saying a small thanks before digging in. 'I wonder how okaasan is doing...'

------

You both left the shop, the moon had risen higher and the once warm summer breeze has turned cool. The disappearance of the large crowd from earlier was noticeable, most people could be seen sliding open their home doors and retiring for the night. 'It can't be that late can it?' You cocked your head to the side, looking up into the dark sky. The tiny dots that littered the night captivated you, making you stare aimlessly. You could hear chattering around you. A familiar low voice called out to you. "Come on [Name], we can't stay outside for long." Your father looked around from left to right, trying to catch anyone suspicious. He gripped your hand tightly, his aura filled with anxiety. The sound of zori sandals was all that could be heard, other than the few remaining villagers outside.