From Seed to Stalk

Ever since your mother had shown you the basics of agriculture you had grown a love for taking care of things. It made you feel fulfilled and whole.

One day, you and your father were traveling the nearby villages, it was something that he did every a few times a month to trade and sell goods and bring back items. He was speaking with another villager, possibly trying to buy something or ask for directions (you could care less). You sat on the edge of the path. The land around the road would steep a bit, allowing you to dangle your legs off the edge. You watched the villagers tend to the rice, the sun beating down on their backs. Their sleeves and pants were rolled up and their pointed straw hats cast a shadow over their faces. You could see the sweat drop from their temples and the labored breaths of few.

"They work very hard don't they?" a croaky voice spoke from behind you. You turned your head to the voice. An old priest looked at the workers. He held a long staff in his had, decorated with six dull metal rings. His eyes were clouded over and the ends of his robes were torn and moth-eaten. His shiny bald head almost made you want to look away.

You took a second to answer. "Yeah, they work really hard." you said emphasizing on 'really'. "Why do they work so hard?" Your question was sparked by nothing other than pure curiosity. The old priest looked at you.

"To feed their families. To support them. That's why they work hard."

You only gave a distant nod to the answer. "Mr. priest? Do golden rice paddies still exist?"

"Now why ask such a thing young child?"

"Mm... I once saw a golden rice paddy a long time ago, when okaasan still carried me on her back. I can't think of anything much from that time other than that paddy. It was so big and pretty, I want to see it again!" A large smile stretched across your face. Just thinking of such a wonder made you feel giddy. The old priest gave a small hum. "One day, I want to have my own golden rice field! I'll bring my partner with me and we'll build a big minka on the edge of it, I'll harvest my own rice and take good care of my parents!"

The old priest smiled. He walked closer to you and sat beside you. "You must enjoy taking care of things. Though, you do know it's just regular rice?" You nodded and giggled. He reached into his robe and pulled out a sap green colored pouch. He reached his hand out, waiting for you to take it. You looked at it for a bit, curious as to what was inside. You took it from his hands gently and opened it up. Inside were rice seeds.

"Woah! Thank you so much!"

"No worries."

"One day I'll pay you back for sure! With every seed in this pouch, I'll give you one rice stalk!

"I'll be waiting for that day."

------

【 Taisho Secret !】

Akari ([Name]'s mother) was very surprised by how healthy and strong her child was when they were born. Kametaro would take [Name] on his travels with him as soon as they could walk (Although he would often carry his child on a cart or his back). This worried Akari so much at first she refused to sleep for a majority of the time they were gone. Imagine the shock when her husband found her sprawled out on the floor snoozing off while periodically crying in her sleep"[Name]! My baby, come back! Okaasan is worried!". Kametaro made sure to tell her when she awoke.

------

I'm sorry if it seems like all they talk about is rice-

By golden rice, think of Mio's rice field for Dororo.

The priest may seem out of nowhere, but he does play an important role :)

I also realized I may write incorrect pronouns like she or he, if that happens I apologize in advance! This chapter seems pretty boring, but I hope the next one will satisfy you guys!