A Single Grain

The relations in this story are not romantic! Most relations are either platonic or family.

The reader is gender-neutral and has no canon biological sex!

It is up to you to decide who you want to be.

.

.

.

"Okaasan! Okaasan, look at these!"

A pretty woman perked up at the commotion. The needle in her dainty fingers stopped abruptly while the thread was still loose in the garment she was mending. She punctured the sharp darner into the fabric to keep it stationary before raising her head again.

"Look!"

Enthusiastic footsteps trampled the soft green grass while a small child proudly held up a small, shallow basket of fresh vegetables. The sun cast warm rays on the two figures as a slight breeze animated their surroundings. Her eyes moved across the goods, ranging from shishito peppers to eggplants. Each veggie was ripe and healthy, practically glowing from how well-developed they are.

"Don't these look pretty?" You let out a small squeal when showcasing your hard work. A small smile graced her lips. A hand feminine hand reached towards the contents of the basket to examine a few of the products displayed.

Your mother always smiled, it was hard to find a moment where she wasn't. She always held the same glimmer in her eyes and the same tenderness in her being. Unlike your father, she was never very harsh and was incredibly patient, often seen educating you in a range of skills. She was even the one who got you into gardening.

"They look wonderful! You've got better, well done." Her voice was soft and gooey almost. Akari lifted a hand and stroked your head affectionately. The tips of her fingers applied light pressure to your scalp before brushing back, simultaneously combing each strand.

You beamed at her praise, she could practically see the air around you brighten. She chuckled and proceeded to guide you to rest beside her. "Your kimono's almost done [First name], I'm surprised that you wanted to keep wearing it. We can always just buy you a new one," She took the needle out of the cloth and returned to her work. The needle weaved between the fabric, skillfully repairing any wear and tear. You tilted your head to watch her work while cradling the small basket close.

A bright smile blinded Akari, "Nuh-uh! You and otousan bought it for me, that's why I love it so much! I don't want to ever throw this one away," You tugged on the kimono lightly as to not disturb any new seams.

Warmth filled deep within her chest as the corners of her lips curled upwards. Her adoration filled eyes crinkled pleasantly while watching you sort through your basket.

The moment was ruined when a loud shout called towards them. "Looks like otousan is back, go say hello [First name]." She patted your back as a signal. You hastily shoved the basket to the side and dropped down from your seat on the porch before darting across the clearing. The green grass fluttered in the wind as you sped across the field.

"CATCH ME!" With a strong jump, you boosted off the ground and flew towards the startled male.

Your father dropped the planks of wood he was carrying and caught you in his arms. The force of the jump made him stumble back a bit, "Hey there kid, did you miss me that much?" He affectionately ruffled your fluffy tresses.

The only response he got was a tiny hum and more cuddles. He let you down and you raced back to the house, leaving him to pick up the planks of wood. He let out a content sigh, watching your figure across the field.