Chapter 15

"Rose è a casa da sola? Ok, vengo. Posso portare la mia ragazza?" I hear a husky concerned voice speaking in the near distance.

I wake up in a haze, I had this amazing dream that I had told Parker all about my AVPD and he didn't run away as far as he could. Even better, we ended up cuddling under the stars. But running my hand through my bushy matted down hair I soon realise that I was not in my familiar warm bed but instead on an old couch huddled under a flimsy blanket.

It wasn't a dream.

Had I really fallen asleep in Parker's arms last night? Our parents must be wondering where the hell we are. Well, maybe mine won't be.
My shoulder was sore and achy from sleeping on it all night and I had sleep crust in my eyes. Ew. I must look a right state.

The space beside me on the couch is bare. Parker's standing with his back facing me and his front facing towards the large oak trees I hadn't noticed last night, speaking subduedly into his phone. He's still wearing his paint-stained shirt and his tan forearms seem to glow in the dew of morning light.

I have no idea why I'm trying to kid myself. He isn't just a friend. Of course he isn't. What am I thinking? I can't just be friends with a boy like him. I was bound to fall in love. My stomach's going all fuzzy just looking at him.

"Mamma no non ce n'è bisogno. Voglio dire, è una ragazza che è solo mia amica." I can see the colour red creep up his neck and I realise he was blushing.

I wish at that moment that I could understand Italian just so I can do some unabashed eavesdropping.

I accidentally kick the empty thermos flask onto the ground as I try and stand up. It makes a clinking noise that makes Parker aware that I'm awake.

He looks over his shoulder and smiles at me as he rushes to end the phone call. "Ok, ora devo andare, ci sarò tra 10 minuti. Ti amo."

I'm completely aware of how disgusting I probably look now. My hair's all over the place and I'm pretty sure my sweater is all crumpled now- I was definitely not the prettiest little thing in the morning.

But the way Parker looks at me, I feel as though I could probably pass for Naomi Campbell in his eyes. It's weird how someone can go from being a complete stranger to being the one who completes you.

"Morning, Pencils." He coos, putting his thumb in his trouser pockets. He looks so lanky and enormous looming over me.

"Morning, Spidey," I coo back. I remember pops and quickly check my phone for any messages that a normal concerned parent would have left. No texts, no calls, no voicemails. It's like he never even noticed that I was gone.

Sighing, I look back up at Parker who is still gazing at me with shy eyes. His long, black eyelashes framing his face.

"I have to get back home and take care of Rose, I'm sorry for dragging you out here, I'm sure your dad must be worried." He lowers his eyebrows in concern, upset that the magical night had to come to an end. "I know my mum was."

He rolls his eyes and I laugh politely.

He has no idea.

"I'll walk you home or you can come over and have breakfast ?" He suggests.

I nod. "I'd love that." He packs up all the blankets and throws the empty bottles of cider away.

After he loops his arm through mine, we walk off into the distance together laughing and talking about nothing. Everything just feels...perfect.

This. This is how I want it to be forever. Today was a good day.
It was a good day indeed.