Christmas Break pt. 3

Chapter 12

3rdpovharry

Harry awoke on Christmas morning to find that he was in no mood for any of the Christmas festivities that awaited him. Christmas was about togetherness and with his friends faraway, the remainder of the castle talking about him, and Draco well Draco he wanted nothing to do with any of it. He laid awake in bed for a long while, staring at the presents at the end of his four-poster bed as if they were a snake that might bite him. Eventually, he crawled over to one from Hermione and carefully unwrapped a small baby's raddle which had been charmed to affect the baby's mood, according to the note Hermione had left with it. Harry smiled and tucked it in his trunk. A wave of sadness suddenly washed over him as he wondered if he would live to see this gift in action. 

He shook his head. He couldn't afford to think like that. He had to be strong now. He picked up a misshapen package from Ron and ripped off the wrappings. A small soft teddy lay underneath. Harry grinned widely. His baby would have the greatest godparents he or she could ever ask for. The rest of the presents were various sweets and sweaters and artifacts that deeply touched him. Even the Dursleys had sent him a mug which probably not supposed to have it's handle broken into several pieces wrapped in several layers of newspapers. 

He stood up with newfound confidence, ready to head down to Christmas breakfast. So what if the remainder of those who had stayed behind were talking about the pregnancy. He had people that loved him. His eyes landed on a small package wrapped neatly silver-green paper which must've accidentally landed on the floor while he was sleeping. His eyebrows knit together as he picked it up, the note attached read, "I'm sorry" There were only so many people in Slytherin at the moment who wanted to apologize to him he thought bitterly. Against his better judgment he opened the package. Inside was am embroidered jade green baby jumper that must've cost Draco Malfoy a fortune. (Not that he really cared.) Harry's eyebrows knit together in confusion and anguish. He set the beautiful jumper aside before it caused his brain to have an actual aneurism. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At breakfast Harry didn't quite know where to sit. Oh how he wished his friends where here to navigate him through all the whispering. No one had flat out confronted him yet, but he could tell it it was on his classmate's minds. Everyone kept glancing at him and looking at each other. It was all very embarrassing. Draco was looking very dull, if his less than immaculate hair and the circles under his eyes were any indication, (not that Harry cared of course). Harry did his best to focus on eating and sipping down a supplement potion with pumpkin juice as a chaser as he observed the festivities around him. 

Harry left the breakfast hall feeling lonely. He made his way towards the library when a sharp lurch in his stomach had him doubling over in pain. All the could think as he ran for the bathroom was that something was very very wrong. He started in the direction of the bathroom feeling another sharp lurch, forcing a groan from his lips. As the pain began to increase to a steady throb of almost unbearable agony h broke into a run. The world was all pain and fading colors as he ran through the archway. His feet gave out underneath him and somewhere far away he heard a fierce animalistic screaming. He saw the hallway one last time before everything blacked out around him and he fell into darkness so absolute it might've been death for he knew. 

-

When Harry's eyes opened he let out a whimper, not out of pain but out of the distinct emptiness he felt. He thrashed back the hospital's thin sheet and let out a cry like a wounded animal. The baby was no more, and the small bump had receded into nothingness and his skinny torso was all that remained. Through his crying, he could just make out the sounds of someone else's quiet sobbing. Harry turned, slowly meeting Draco's eyes which were red from hours of crying at Harry's side. Harry wanted to scream at him and tell him this was all his fault. He wanted to draw his wand and make him pay. he wanted to- Draco flung his arms around Harry's weak form and squeezed him. And that... he wanted that too...

"I'm so sorry." Draco sobbed into his hair. "I love you."

"I want to forget," Harry said brokenly. "Can you make me forget?" 

"I-" Draco pulled back from Harry to look into his eyes, those eyes that would never be the same now. Would he ever smile again? Would he ever laugh again? "No Harry no more forgetting."

"Please," Harry begged. His lip quivered the slightest bit. "I'm tired of being brave Draco. I just want to forget now."

They gave each other a long searching look in which much was said. And then Draco nodded his head and gave Harry a great kindness in drawing his wand and whispering with all the love in his soul.

"Obliviate."