Strange Places

⚡️⚡️⚡️
Chapter 5

✨3rdpovharry✨
It turned out that his decision to spend more time with Ron and Hermione had backfired because they'd been keeping a somewhat annoyingly close eye on him. On the bright side Harry had not woken up in a single odd place without his memories in about a week. But after 6 days of their constant presence he decided he needed a break. He found himself slipping out of sight directly after his last class of the day before Ron or Hermione could ambush him. He climbed the stairs to the owlry hoping to find Hedwig.

When he got there Hedwig was perched atop a small post with another owl Harry had never seen before. When she saw Harry she flew from the perch and landed on his outstretched arm.  He smiled at her as she ruffled her feathers appreciatively and nipped his ear lightly. He carefully moved himself near an open window, sitting on the ledge, cautious not to move to quickly and annoy Hedwig into flying off.

Harry felt a surge of sadness wash over him as he looked out over the grounds of Hogwarts. He hadn't thought about Voldemort in a while, but now he couldn't help it. He was drawn to dark thoughts about the his future and that of the entire wizarding world. So much was expected of him. He was tasked with stopping the most powerful dark wizard of all time from throwing the world into chaos. He knew he shouldn't doubt himself, doubt made everything harder. But he couldn't avoid the reality that the odds were stupendously against him.

"What are you doing up here." Came the cold drawl of Draco Malfoy. Harry jumped and spun around so fast that Hedwig have a startled hoot and flew off. Malfoy was dressed in his usual robes and his hair was styled as flawlessly as ever, but something was off. His eyes were soft, nothing like the pools of ice that Harry usually saw.

"I needed to think." He replied quietly. Malfoy crossed the small owlry and sat down at another window ledge. He was wary, but somehow Malfoy seemed far less intimidating alone without his dim cronies beside him.

"I knew I'd find you here." Malfoy said, looking out the open window contemplatively. When his eyes landed back on Harry he was wearing an unreadable expression. Harry frowned, trying not to get distracted by how Malfoy's platinum blonde hair and pale skin shone in the light of the open window.

"Why were you looking for me?" Harry wondered aloud, forcing himself to look away. He probably looked like a right idiot staring at Malfoy that way. He clasped his hands in his lap and cast his gaze on the straw covered floor.

"Granger and the weasel have been around you all week I wanted to talk to you alone." Malfoy said. There was no hint of malice his voice, which Harry found somehow enormously disheartening. He could handle Malfoy being mean, for the most part, but Malfoy being friendly was a whole new ballgame that had him on edge. He didn't know when Malfoy would change back into his usual cruel self. He felt like he had to tread carefully.

"You found me." Harry said, he'd meant it to be a deadpan but it didn't come out that way at all. This Malfoy made his stomach unsettled and he felt strange. It was hard to seem uninterested in the conversation or Malfoy for that matter when he so clearly was.

"What did you need to think about?" Malfoy asked, running a hand through his blonde hair. Harry looked at him warily. He knew he shouldn't share, Malfoy's father was a death eater and he would probably follow in his footsteps soon, but he felt the need to spill out everything.

"Voldemort." He said biting his lip and looking off at the forbidden forest.

"What about him?" Malfoy asked, eyebrows furrowed slightly at the mention of his name.

"Not exactly about him." He admitted, he decided he shouldn't bother stopping himself, it was coming out anyways. "I just can't help but think this was all a mistake." He bit his lip again. Suddenly feeling the urge to cry. He hadn't admitted things like this to anyone, let alone a death eater's son.

"What do you mean?" Malfoy asked, Harry didn't meet his eyes.

"I mean... everyone thinks I'm the chosen one... but what if I'm not? What if this was all a huge misunderstanding and the prophecy was about someone else. I'm not brave or strong like I need to be. It's like you say, I'm a fraud. I don't deserve to be the chosen one. I can't defeat Voldemort." His voice cracked at the end and he swallowed the painful lump in his throat. There was a long pause in which Harry held his breath, waiting for Malfoy to confirm that he wasn't really the chosen one. But he didn't.

"I only said those things because I'm jealous." Malfoy said. "You are the chosen one. I've never met anyone as brave as you." Harry's eyes widened, he tried not to preen under Malfoy's compliments. He tried not to feel completely and utterly validated.

"Don't worry I won't tell anyone you've gone soft." He laughed.

"No you won't." Malfoy said sadly. Harry didn't pursue what Malfoy meant. He couldn't know that in a short while he wouldn't remember that Malfoy was soft at all.

"What did you need to talk to me about?" Harry asked.

"I wanted to say I'm sorry." Malfoy said slowly, running a hand through his hair again somewhat nervously. "For all the times I've been rude. I didn't know."

"Didn't know what?" Harry asked curiously.

"I didn't know it really hurt you." He answered, Harry's stomach did a little flip-flop at how genuine he sounded. Harry smiled.

"It's okay." He said simply, smiling some more. "This isn't the type of thing where the boy bullies the girl cos he fancies her is it?"

"Did you just call yourself a girl Potter?" Malfoy asked teasingly. Harry blushed.

"No! Of course not." He blushed some more. "If anything you would be the girl!" He quipped.

"I'm 6 inches taller than you." Malfoy deadpanned.

"I bet you take 30 minutes doing your hair..." Harry argued. Suddenly Malfoy was up off his spot on the window ledge towering over Harry. Harry stood up too, but regretted it because Malfoy truly was 6 inches taller than him.

"You're tiny." Malfoy breathed, enjoying the little gasp that escaped Harry as he leaned down so that their faces were inches apart.

"That's-" He was cut off my Malfoy's smooth lips against his own. Malfoy placed one hand on his hip, drawing small circles in his exposed hip bone, and one hand in Harry's messy hair as they kissed. They pulled away nose to nose, Harry breathing hard with pink cheeks. "-not true." Harry finished, though he wasn't feeling so sure about that.

"Does that answer your question about the boy who is a wanker because he likes the girl?" Malfoy said. "And my neck hurts from all the bending down."

Harry stepped back a step and hit Malfoy playfully on the arm. "Arsehole."

"Who me? Never." Malfoy said smirking down at Harry. Harry's cheeks were redder than Ron's after a scolding from his mother.

"What now?" Harry asked innocently, smiling shyly and not meeting Malfoy's intense gaze. When he looked up Malfoy wasn't smiling anymore.

"Now you're my secret." Malfoy said quietly.

"And you're mine?" Harry said sounding more than a little disappointed.

"Oh I'm especially yours." Malfoy said again sounding sad and now guilty. He pulled out his wand. Harry looked bewildered. He forgot words as the wand was pointed in between his bespectacled eyes.

"It was you." He realized solemnly. "You've been taking me places and erasing my memory." He looked away, his lips still tingling from the kiss. He felt an onset of betrayal.

"I'm sorry." Was all Malfoy managed out before he gripped his wand tighter.

"Obliviate."