Fresh Off the Runway

Lea slumped on the corner of John B's dock, one foot in the water as the Pogues minus Pope were sat mourning the loss of their treasure

John B's feet were right by Lea's face, returning straight after she'd kicked him off. He lay on the floor of the deck, the same place where Lea had found him sleeping earlier.

JJ was next to Lea, sat up on the docks fence smoking a joint, and Kie sat on the other fence, no one really saying much.

After using the little strength she had to pull John B back up out of the well, Lea felt deflated. All the effort that had gone into finding the gold just for Mr Richy Rich to come in and swipe it from them at the last second. It was a hard blow, that's for sure.

"You sure he got everything?" Kie tried, running through all the possibilities that could somehow, maybe, result in the Pogues benefit.

"Every bar." John B nodded, "the whole enchilada."

"Didn't even get a finder's fee," Lea huffed, gazing out at the marsh.

John B struggled beside her, trying to get his cast off. Finally managing he yanked it off, throwing it down the dock. "It's not like I was expecting a happy ending or shit."

"John B-" Kie protested as she looked at his wrist.

"What Kie? It's a hairline fracture who cares?"

"You should care. It'll damage your hand for life."

Lea leant her head back, closing her eyes.
"It's fine! See?" John B wiggled his fingers.

"Guys! Guys!"

Lea opened her eyes as everyone turned to see Pope running down the dock, all smart in a suit but drenched in sweat.

"Oh! Oh!" Pope stopped, panting heavily, "oh God. I ran all the way here."

"You alright?" Lea asked cautiously.

"How was the interview Pope?" JJ asked, not sounding like he really cared.

After last night it was almost awkward between them all, like they were all stepping on eggshells, all annoyed and hurt by each other.

Lea almost laughed out loud as she thought about how different the vibe would be if they'd still got the gold.

"Don't ask," Pope brushed him off, still trying to catch his breath.

"Awesome," John B muttered, turning back to look above him, closing his eyes.

"JB," Pope straightened. "Look, I'm sorry, dude. About everything."

"It's fine." It clearly was not fine.

"But-but I don't have a lot of time, and I have information that is tactically relevant." Lea raised her eyebrows as Pope rambled.