Dog Ate Our Homework :/

Lea had mixed emotions about returning to the crime scene

Lea had mixed emotions about returning to the crime scene. How would she react to the dead body? Before, it had been dark and they'd been far away, but now they stood under the bright fluorescent lights of the construction site. Her reactions had been overthought greatly as they followed the Sheriff up the construction stairs. 

Confusion was not an emotion she was expecting. 

There was no crime scene. No blood, no body, not a pin out of place. Nada. 

"Okay, so how long ago did you say this happened?" Shoupe looked down at his notebook, clearly annoyed. 

"I'm telling you, Shoupe, like 45 minutes ago," JJ was getting frustrated, rightly so as the Sheriff's Department would rather sew their eyes shut than believe the Pogues. 

"And so, Ward Cameron just popped one-off and shot him," Shoupe looked up at the four of them, eyebrows raised. 

"Yes," Kie sighed. 

"Execution style?" Shoupe gestured around at the perfectly normal construction site, "and then cleaned it all up in 45 minutes?"

"Yes," Kie repeated. 

"Obviously," Pope glared at Shoupe. 

"Look we filmed the whole thing," Lea tried to convince the detective. 

"You filmed it?" That caught his interest. 

"Yes," Lea winced as she had to squash whatever leverage they had, "but we can't show it to you because Ward was chasing us, and there was a ladder and hands were stepped on and faces were kicked and then the stupid camera broke."

"It's a telephoto, and we needed to get a long-distance image, and... and I fell, and it broke, so the video is basically unusable..." Pope spoke quicker and quicker as Shoupe began to shake his head in disbelief, "but... but we were there, and we're wit-"

"So the dog ate your homework?"

"If the homework was the video evidence of a man being shot to death, yeah," Lea looked to where Gavin had stood less than an hour before. 

"Shoupe, we know how it sounds-" tried Kie. 

"Look, I don't know what you kids expect me to do with this," Shoupe sounded exasperated, "you drag me out here in the middle of the night for a whole lot of nothing -"

"It's not nothing!" they tried. 

"- Except for some crazy stories about how Ward Cameron's out on a random killing spree!"

"We're not making this up!" 

"It's not a random killing spree," Pope argued, "Gavin was his pilot on that day, okay? And he was paying him hush money because he was on the tarmac that day!"

"Gavin was blackmailing Ward because he had the gun that Rafe used to kill Peterkin," Lea added, "you know, the murder weapon you hadn't found?"

"He called him here to try and pay him off, but it wasn't enough and so he shot him," JJ gestured frantically to where the body had been, "with the murder weapon."