TWENTY-SEVEN

It'd been a few days and Sophie nominated herself as Keefe's personal care-taker because she knew Keefe's dad would do a horrible job. (And Ro was on an extended trip)

Keefe was now back at home and the plan was that Sophie would stay there all day and do whatever he needed her to do, then at night she'd go home, and then she'd come back for him in the morning.

Keefe never really had anything for her to do, and he mostly always asked her to tell him about what she'd done in Hawaii.

So she told him everything from start to finish—other than all the sappy Fitz stuff, because she knew that Keefe would not want to hear about that.

"So...you had a good time?" Keefe asked her for what felt like the millionth time.

"Yes," Sophie said with a smile.

"And you beat Fitz at Go-karting?"

"Yes,"

"So he had to dye his hair green?"

"No—he had to dye it blue,"

"Oh," Keefe said, letting out a yawn. "Sorry—my brains a little fogged up,"

Sophie sighed. "Keefe, you don't have to apologize."

Keefe shrugged, shrinking under the covers of his bed.

Sophie smiled at him before asking, "How're you feeling?"

Keefe let out a breath. "I'm not feeling that great—but it's better when you tell stories," He said it with a knowing look that made Sophie laugh.

"Fine," Then she started to tell him a bunch of stories that she'd never told him before, and he seemed to pay attention to all of them very closely.

"You're a really good listener," Sophie told him.

Keefe shrugged. "Only when I'm listening to something I want to—and you're voice is really calming, so it helps me no matter how bad I feel."

§§§

A few days later, Keefe decided that he wanted to try and move around by himself.

The first time, Keefe fell on his face...a lot. Sophie had to always be there to catch him and most of the time, she did.

"Keefe, you've already tried twenty times," Sophie said, grabbing Keefe's hand and trying to urge him to lay back down. "You need to rest and relax."

"No way," Keefe said, trying to take a few steps, but tripping over the air and almost falling.

Sophie rolled her eyes, wishing he wasn't so stubborn. "But you need to get rest,"

"To quote you," He said, fighting against her arm—which was currently blocking him from standing up. "The more I practice now, the better I'll get."

Sophie rolled her eyes, not believing that anything could be even worse than dealing with a sick Keefe Sencen.

"Fine," Sophie said, moving her arm and sitting down on Keefe's bed. "But if you pass-out from exhaustion, don't come crying to me,"

Keefe chuckled. "Nah—you'll just come crying to me," He said, taking very slow steps.

Sophie sighed, watching as Keefe walked. He didn't fall on his face after five minutes, so Sophie was a little proud.

"Good job Mr. Sencen," Sophie said, patting on the back. "But now it is dinnertime—what do you want to eat?"

Keefe thought for a minute. "I'd like a ham sandwich and some Doritos chips." He told her. "Please?"