Chapter 23

Edited with Grammarly: 5/21/2020

The next morning finds me waking up on the rocky outcropping near my clothes. Well, not exactly morning since it's almost noon, judging by the sun's placement. Still in my wolf skin, I yawn widely and raise my head. When my movement is restricted, my eyes swing around to see why.

Kalista's dark brown wolf is laying partially on me, eyes closed in sleep, and breathing deeply. The sight makes me smile even as it sends warmth flowing through my body. Scenting the air around us reveals that even Marcus had been around at some point.

Thinking back to last night, a shiver slips down my spine when I remember Faust and just what I'd learned about him.

Royalty.

Born Alpha.

A target.

His wounds had indeed been by other werewolves, ones not from the Grotto Falls or Lunar Soul Packs. He wouldn't go much more into it, just said that the wolves weren't local and that I shouldn't worry about it. Fat chance of that after what Alpha Kristos had shared with us all before the night started, but I wasn't getting any more from him.

A smile does creep over my face though when I think of the hunting we did. I'd caught two field mice before I offered to catch him something, then he had to go and catch that hare.

Show off.

I'd watched him as he worked, and I do have to admit, he has some serious skill. Hate to say it, but he's much better than Leilan. From what I saw, he's better than many of the wolves our age, even some of the older ones. I wanted to ask more about it, but I just figure it's due to better teaching, being royal an all.

When I'd first jumped over him and taken off, he stayed on my tail easily. The only way I could out-maneuver him was when I went into spots he couldn't fit into. At that point all he'd do is go around and catch me at the other end. That only happened twice before I took a different route though, the last time I'd come out where he didn't expect and pounced on him.

He wasn't too happy with that, and it became obvious really quick that he wasn't used to playing. He'd twisted enough and got a hold of my foreleg with his teeth, used it to toss me to the side where I slid into a tree. I'd been able to roll with it, keep the impact to a minimum, but I still shook the tree from the force of his throw.

My back, side, and front leg still twinge in memory, but they're all healed from the ordeal. Looking down at my leg now, you can't even tell there'd been a gash there, torn and bloodied from his teeth. In animal form, I'm not unfamiliar with the sharp pain of others' teeth, but this was new.

My ears splay to either side as his reaction plays over in my head. After what he'd just gone through, I guess I should have known better, but it didn't even dawn on me at the time. I'd just been playing.

Faust had hurried over to me, worry and censure in his green eyes. He'd apologized even as he berated me for 'pulling a stunt like that'. We'd argued a little bit, but he was just getting increasingly frustrating, so I'd kicked dirt at him and taken off again.

The gash in my leg had been healing, but it still slowed my progress significantly. Took him no time at all to get around me and put a stop to my run. His ears had been pulled back as he bodily pushed me towards a rocky stream. Just before I could get to it though, he'd knocked me over and settled his weight over me, holding me down with his own larger body as he took matters into his own 'hands'.

That close to him, his wild scent had filled my nose and made me shiver. Trying to pull out from under him was useless, as the small stones around us provided no purchase, just shifting under my flailing. When settled and glaring at him, he grinned at me and started licking at my leg.

The action was such a surprise that I'd jerked as if he'd hit me. My eyes had gone wide and my heart started thundering in my chest. Faust had made a crack in my head about my fear of his eating me. I kept quiet after that, eyes averted even as the tips of my ears burned with embarrassment.

It was when he made the joke about any other girl being thrilled about being in that position that had me fighting to get back up. I'd even went so far as to growl at him, which I think is what had him moving, just because he was so surprised. I had to remind him again that not everyone wanted his body, even as I kept to myself that he did smell really good.

Shortly after that was when we'd went hunting. He'd watched as I caught my mice, then mocked him, then he had to go and be a showoff and hunt down a very huge rabbit. The darn thing had to be at least fifteen pounds.

We'd spent hours hunting till our bellies were full, joking and running. I have to admit it was fun, even if he was annoying for ninety-five percent of it. He didn't appear to relax until after the event at the stream, it was like it had been years since he was allowed to just be himself. Being who he is, it probably has been that long.

Kalista rousing has me coming back to the present and out of my head, rolling onto her belly where she stretches her legs out. Her yawn is wide before she sits up, eyes barely even opening. I so much want to share with her what had happened, but I made a promise.

Sitting up myself, we both shake out our pelts, resettling fur before my head cocks at her in curiosity.

"So how'd your night go? How'd you manage to get up here? I didn't peg you as a climber."

I chuckle even as her tongue comes out, sticking the tip of it at me. Kal's black markings are almost lost in the hues that make up her coat, but against the light, they can be seen well enough. Looking out over the rock face, the groups of bodies below are either in puppy piles, wandering wolves, or upright humanoids walking around the 'campsite'.

"You're not the only one who likes to climb, you know. Most Grotto Falls wolves worth their salt can climb really well. If they can't, then they wouldn't do very well in this terrain."

Well, I guess she does have a point there. Didn't even think of that last night when I'd stashed my clothing. On the heels of that very thought, I hurry over to check the spot I had them and find what I had feared.

My clothes are gone.