29|| Shelter from The Storm

Start from the beginning

Dad broke his sobriety? 

"I-"

Before I can continue, Mama turns and walks off my doorstep back into the crowded street. I slowly close the door and pause in disbelief. 

"Hey Cy, where's your mom babe?" Alexei asks and I bite my lip, holding back the tears as I try to forget the pain in my Mama's face. I didn't even get the chance to tell him I'm pregnant. I'm sure he probably wouldn't have been able to care much anyway and it would have been more of a burden if anything. 

I guess I'm all alone in this then. 

"Um nothing, he just had something important to tend to. Hey, why don't you show Cy his room and I'll get some breakfast ready for him." I suggest to Alexei and he raises his dark black brow but follows my direction without showing his confusion to Cyprus. For that I'm grateful.

I grab a plate from the cabinet and place a slice of Alexei's sweet french toast. Topping it just for Cy with a little bit of powdered sugar, a dollop of whipped cream, and a dash of cinnamon. Wiping the tears from my eyes on my sleeve. 

What really happened baby?

Alexei asked through our link from upstairs and I hold the countertop, thankful that he's distracting my little brother. 

Dad's drinking again. Mama looks like a skeleton. Kua is probably in worse shape. What didn't happen?

I reply before looking at the calendar checking the date again and blinking a few times.

It's Cy's tenth birthday, but I bet not a single soul has said happy birthday to him. Poor baby.

I sigh and I can feel the energy in my mate rise.

Wait what? It's his birthday?

There's a sudden crashing down the stairs as my hyper lover jumps the last step with grace but slides when his foot hits the carpet and falls flat on his face. 

"Alexei, are you okay?" I try my best to hold in my laughter but it comes out as a cross between a cough and a snort. He groans and gives a half-hearted thumbs up before dragging himself back up in burpee form. Grabbing his jacket from the coat rack, he gives me a quick kiss and opens the door. Looking back and forth from the outside world to me. 

"Where are you going?" I laugh at his franticness and he bites his lip suspiciously.

"I don't want him to spend his tenth birthday all sad and depressed. He just hit double digits, that's something to be celebrated! So I'll take care of the present and you can take care of the cake. Don't trip and fall actually don't even go down the stairs, protect our little one okay?" he asks before kissing me one last time and ducking out the door, closing it behind him.

I blush when he says 'our little one' and instinctively run my hand over my flat stomach. I look up at the sky and try not to think too much about it or else I'll get all emotional like I usually do. But this time it's not because I'm happy, even though I should be. I'm saddened by being unable to share with my parents and I know if I think of Papa it's all gonna go downhill from there. 

Finishing up Cy's breakfast plate, I take it upstairs and carefully peek into his room where my little brother was hanging up his shirts. 

"Hey Cyprus, I thought you might be hungry so I brought you some brunch." I offer my little plate and he nods without a hint of a smile. 

"Thank you Waylon, I appreciate it," He nods and gently grips the plate to take it from me, sitting at his desk to eat. I ruffle his soft hair up a bit before sitting down on the edge of his bed.