xxxiii. responsibility of the crown

Start from the beginning

"That's my point, Vera," Corin says, bringing Vera back to her thoughts as he glances at her with such a disgruntled look that she wonders if he's angry with her. "This plan...this reckless plan could get others killed. My guard, my friends, your people. I don't think you are fully aware of how dangerous Evian is. Why do you think not as many numbers have come at all? They fear him. Evian thinks that the only way to rule is to be feared. He doesn't believe in respect or loyalty. To him, in his mind, fear is the only answer."

"I am well aware of what a man like Evian Decourt is. I am aware of his ways. I have been raised in Atlantis Court and I know how his snake mind works. I am aware of exactly how many people fear him and why they do so—" starts Vera with a heated voice, only rising up with more anger fueling inside of her. Even if Corin didn't know it, this was more emotion than Vera has shown in days, and with their unexpected arrival came the three hunters' hope as they broke down every wall and every fort of ice created in Vera's system to hide away from the miserable pain. Granted, it was in the form of negative emotions but it's a work in progress.

Corin interrupts harshly, dismissing the fact that she is his queen as she did request he regard her as a friend, and as someone who cares, not only for her throne but her life and their counter as well, he proceeds, "Really? Do you think you know? You haven't been down there, Vera. These people," he gestures to the crowd wandering about, "don't know a thing about you nor did they know how you looked until a few days ago. Your own people don't know how their Queen looks like! You act like you are so aware and all-knowing. This may sound harsh, Vera, but you are just as naive as Marella. Did you know Evian Decourt executed a council member for treason?"

Vera staggers back, halting in her attempts of arguing back with Corin when he had thrown the new and completely unpredictable information at her with such anger and force that she stands in her spot, stunned to her core with shock at the announcement of Evian's reckless and advantageous use of power. Then, with unmistakable anger and persistence in her stubborn, hazel eyes, she brings her head up with a clenched jaw and fisted hands. "Do not talk so condescendingly towards me, Corin. I may be your friend and you may be true in your own words but trust me. I know what I'm doing."

Corin sighs frustratedly, feeling his annoyance towards the mermaid about her undesired attempts of keeping her people alive. But he knows his friend better than anyone and to get through her hard-headed and utterly stubborn head would be more impossible than bringing back the dead. Having grown up with her and shared various intimate moments with the girl has brought him some justice and knowledge about who she is. Despite him being rather...curious about her sudden change and his growing dislike for it, Corin is confident in reaching out to her and bringing his friend and Atlantis' true Queen back.

Because he knows deep in his bones and in his beating heart that Vera Adelaide Roman is still in there somewhere; the same Vera who wouldn't let her brother run off unless he had eaten his food and that he was well-dressed when they were children, the same Vera that had grown up alongside Corin and challenged him to a duel every day to prove her one strength and courage, the same Vera who remained adamant and determined to fulfill the steps of a warrior to bring her land and her people safety, and the same Vera who unknowingly spent her entire life readying herself for the crown and her throne.

Corin knows Vera like the back of his hand. He knows that she is somewhere beneath the dark surface of no emotion and coldness, he knows that the ice around her heart will shatter like glass breaking down with a rock, and he knows that the only way to get Vera through this mess is someone, something, that snaps her out of the emotional trauma and to get her back to her usual self. And with that, he stays determined. So, with his eyes moving from Vera and her three friends conspicuously, he nods his head.