Chapter 1

March 14th, 1995
Those eyes, why are they so dark?

(Unedited)

Chapter 1: a wedding!?

-Jungkook-

"Well done guys, we can wrap the lesson up for today", professor Choi said picking up his things.

I did not hesitate before picking up mine too and hastily putting them inside my backpack, while also placing my large glasses on my nose.

If you were wondering, yes, no matter how boring and clichéd it may seem, I was kind of a nerd.

Not because I wore glasses or...old-fashioned clothes, of course not, but I really was.
Almost five to eight hours of my typical day were entirely devoted to study, perhaps even more. I was the first in the class, I always took excellent grades and the teachers adored me madly.

And again, if you're wondering, no, I wasn't so obsessed with school because of my parent's strictness.
Actually my parents were never particularly demanding and honestly how I went to school was the least of their problems.
Putting so much effort had been my choice since to get into a prestigious and luxurious school like the one I was attending I had received a scholarship and I didn't want my parents, with already others great financial problems, to pay a single penny.

It was my trial year and If I failed it then my parents would not only have been forced to pay the tuition for the following years but also for the year already passed, and that school was far too expensive. If I had received good results, instead, the school would continue to pay all my studies until graduation.

Money were very much needed at home, especially at that moment.
My mother as a child never received a proper education because of her poor family and having no qualification made getting a job even harder.
My father, on the other hand, had been well educated and graduated with honors in business administration.
The problem in his case was that due to a very rare neurodegenerative disease called  Creutzfeldt-Jakob (it actually exists I didn't make this up) he could not afford to work anywhere. The disease itself has very little chance of being cured, so many kept saying there wasn't really a cure.

Actually there was a way, or so they said at the hospital, but it was a new medicine and as such the chances of it working were very low, between 1% to 5%.
Sounds risky, right?
It was, but if we didn't try that somehow he would have left us anyway.

I didn't know much about the disease and I was still too scared to do some research myself. I only knew the symptoms, but I felt like they were hiding something from me.

However my father, for obvious reasons, couldn't work as well.

If neither of them could work, then, I did. I worked as a waiter in a very popular cafe in soul and the pay was pretty good: around 40000 won per hour. To be honest, i didn't like the job at all. The boss was terrible, most of the staff was too and the food they passed off as fresh absolutely wasn't and the bar itself was awful. It was very pretty on the outside, but if someone had seen the actual condition of that place they would probably never have set a foot in the structure again.
But hey, as long as I earned something I didn't care much. Also, I wasn't really in the place of complaining.

Unfortunately, however, because of work and school, my days were not only extremely boring but also exhausting. I worked on Mondays , Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and on those days my routine would be waking up, going to school,  going home to take a shower and hopefully eat something quickly, going to work until late evening, taking another shower and studying until past midnight.
Not that I had anything else to do since I had not many friends to hang out with, but sometimes I just wanted to lie in bed and do the absolute nothing.