16: There's no time for that.

Good grief. Knowing Akechi, he won't leave me alone until I give him a satisfactory answer. Verbally explaining everything that has happened would take too long, so the best option would be to use immediate telepathy.

Immediate telepathy: I can transfer information to someone via touch, complete with audio and visuals. In this case, I let Akechi know everything that has happened since the first day (Y/n) transferred to PK Academy.

Akechi taps his left palm with his other fist. "Ah, so that's what happened! Well, Kusuo-kun, I have seen you and the new girl quite often, though I'm pretty sure you already know about that since I did see myself in a few of those memories. Hm, apart from that, you've done quite a lot. That girl really is something! She's a lot of work! The most memorable one would probably be when gangsters came out of nowhere and the former delinquent guy beat them all up. Wow, I was so scared and amazed at the same time that I nearly peed my pants! I was frozen solid behind the pole 18 feet away from you. Ah, but I wasn't stalking you that time. I just had somewhere to be that time and it just so happened that the four of you were in the same direction."

Good grief, he still talks too much. But it's true that I know whenever he's around during (Y/n)'s bad luck events because I always hear his thoughts. Normal people would believe that she gets saved by chance, but since Akechi knows of my psychic abilities, he also knows that everything was my doing.

But I can't stay here for long. Looking at the time, I only have a little less than 10 minutes left. Before I can even leave, Akechi stops me.

"Wait, Kusuo-kun," Akechi says. "Even though your face says that you can't stay here for long and you only have a little less than 10 minutes left, I do have a theory as to why (Y/n) doesn't get affected by her bad luck."

That's right! Because of his deductive ability, Akechi can basically see through anything! Why didn't I realize this earlier?

"First step to explaining is recounting everything that has happened--"

"There's no time for that."

He raises his hands in defeat. "You're certainly right. I just thought that I had to keep up my character of continuously talking, no matter what the situation is!"

"Just tell me or else this chapter will go over its word limit like usual."

"A word limit? This chapter has a word limit? How can it go over its word limit when I haven't even appeared that much? I still cannot believe that something like 'word limit' exists. Well, it's not like this fanfic is being published on paper, so the length won't really matter since no paper goes to waste. Although I guess word limits are still important since people may become bored or overwhelmed--"

"Never mind that. Just get on with it."

Akechi nods. "Alright. To put things simply, something always disrupts her bad luck!"

Is this for real?! That's the shortest thing he has ever said! Usually it would take him a while to explain things.

"Disrupting, you say," I repeat.

"Right. Bad luck is kind of like a force. This force is supposed to be affecting the new girl, but natural occurrences always end up disrupting it. Because of this disruption, this bad luck of hers redirects itself towards the one who intervenes with it. This is a huge force we're talking about, so it's also natural for it to act upon other people as well."

I nod. "So I'm assuming no one has died yet because the power of this force spreads out, making it weaker than it's supposed to be."

"Exactly," Akechi agrees. "I'm guessing it doesn't only affect others physically. It may also cause distress in other ways, such as mentally or emotionally. Just think about it: Why do you think simple superstitions such as Friday the 13th affect many people all over the world in so many ways? That's because its force is just too powerful." He raises his index finger. "But to summarize everything: Intercept this bad luck and there will be consequences. That is why she is still alive to this day!"

That does make sense. "Then the one intercepting it would be . . ."

"That's right. That would be you, Kusuo-kun--"

Screaming is heard from a distance.

Akechi and I both look towards the direction where it came from, and someone is running--no, sprinting all the way here.

He stops in front of us, face filled with victory. Suddenly, he collapses on the ground and pants for air.

"S-Saiki-san!" he yells, breathing heavily. "I-I've finally . . . I've finally!"

Akechi kneels down and examines him. "Hm, I thought he was a professional sprinter, but I guess not. His form and technique were one-of-a-kind, and the amount of force he applied on the ground was monster-like! After all, it is known that the greater the amount of force applied accompanied by short ground-contact times will produce greater speed. Hm, but seeing him up-close, I guess it was all just a fluke. He looks like he's about to throw up. That's worse than me peeing my pants." He stands up. "Ah, right. I nearly forgot I was supposed to meet up with my family. I'll be taking my leave now. Good luck with what you need to do, Kusuo-kun."

With that, Akechi leaves the park.

"Saiki-san!" the guy on the ground continues to pant. "Turn . . . Turn back . . . Time! Just this once . . . Help me out . . ."

He really won't get anywhere with this. I turn back time on his body.

He quickly sits up and exhales. "I finally found you! I have been looking everywhere for you!"

"Toritsuka," I say, "Where did you even come from and how did you get here so fast?"

He smirks proudly. "Allow me to tell you! I channelled a spirit known all over the world! A former sprinter from Jamaica!"

What?! But he's still alive! It can't be!

Toritsuka nods. "That's right! I channelled the spirit of the sprinter Delroy Campbell!"

Who?

"Saiki-san, I've been in Saitama the whole week to investigate on (Y/n)!"

So that's why he's been gone.

"It was a lot of work, really. Not to mention the travel fare and the amount of time I had to talk to multiple ghosts."

I check the time. Nearly 6 minutes left.

"Toritsuka, sorry but I already know the gist of (Y/n)'s unluckiness," I tell him and see his face frozen in shock. "Something disrupts her bad luck."

"O-oh . . ." Toritsuka lays on the ground. "Just when I thought I could help you . . . Well, I didn't even know about this 'disrupting' thing . . ."

"If you have anything to say, spit it out now."

Toritsuka gestures with his hands. "Okay, okay! So, I saw a ghost in the classroom when we were with (Y/n) a few days ago. She started running away, crying, so naturally I went after her to comfort her. I was then led to Saitama and saw many guardian spirits. They told me something like there was this girl who always messes them up so they can't perform their duties well, so they feel kind of relieved because they don't see her around anymore. It was sad, you know! This girl was ruining the lives of these kind-hearted spirits!"

Good grief.

But surprisingly, Toritsuka actually helped for once. Even though he does cause more trouble for me with his power, at least he put it to good use now. He confirmed what Akechi just said. "I'm looking for my parents, but my older brother kidnapped them and now they're in some van. Would you know where they are?"

Toritsuka points behind him. "Oh, a van passed by when I was running. I may have heard some screams in there but I didn't know they were your parents, though! I think they're somewhere downtown."

This guy.

"Well, I'm going there. As long as I follow the path you ran, I'll find them soon." And with that, I run at full speed.

"Saiki-san, don't just leave me here! Oh well, never mind. I'll just pick up some girls."

So after I go save my parents, I can teleport to wherever (Y/n) is. But wait, if the bomb is supposed to be in the van where my parents are, then shouldn't (Y/n) be safe now? Things aren't coming together.