2: What is that supposed to mean?

I really would like to thank the transfer student. Nendou and the others haven't approached me during break times since she arrived--well, except for Teruhashi trying to get me to say "Offu" and whatnot.

"Oi, Kusuo!"

I guess I spoke too soon.

"Kusuo! Stop ignoring me! There's something serious going on!"

I sigh. "If something serious means you need the PK Psychic-whatever to gather, then--"

Aiura slams her hands on my desk. "No! It's about the transfer student!"

I look at (Y/n). "She's dodging Hairo's racket swings pretty well. I don't think I need to intervene."

"Yes you do need to intervene!" Aiura looks really worried and she constantly glances at her. "You know how I can see someone's aura, right? Well, this girl has a really dark one."

"Then you better not tell Kaidou. He might think she's working with the Dark Reunion--"

"Stop joking around, Kusuo! This is serious!" She brings out her crystal ball and shows it to me. "Look!"

And so I look. "It's black. What about it?"

She nervously polishes it using a rag and hovers her hands above it. "Every time I check her future, all I see is black. I can't see any clear images."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

Aiura knits her eyebrows together. "It's the first time I've ever seen someone with it."

"So what is that supposed to mean?"

"I knew it was rare, so rare that people thought they were extinct."

"How many times do you want me to ask you what it's supposed to mean?"

She sets her crystal ball on my desk. "Bad luck. She has bad luck."

"Okay."

"Kusuo, this is serious!" she exclaims. How many minutes left of break do we have? "I told you, people with bad luck are rare these days. This means she's in total danger!"

"She seems fine."

"Well, for now, she is." She takes someone else's chair, puts it in front of my desk and takes a seat. "It won't be long until accidents start happening."

"And why exactly are you telling me this?"

"Because you're the only one who can help her."

I start preparing my things for the next class. "Why don't you help her? You were the first one to know about it."

She squints at the new student. "It's going on and off," she mumbles. She leans on the backrest of the chair. "I can, I guess, but it'll be hard. Bad luck doesn't only affect the person who has it but also the people around them."

And as if on cue, Hairo's racket comes in contact with Kaidou's right hand as Kaidou was dodging it.

He yells. "My hand! My hand! It hurts!"

Well, so much for having a power sealed there.

"I'm so sorry, Kaidou-kun!" Hairo drops his racket. "Oh no, it looks really bad. I'm sorry!"

And it really does. Kaidou's hand looks so red. How much power was Hairo even using?

"You see?!" Aiura points at them. "It's already happening! If I get too close to her, I might get hurt, too."

"So you want me to get hurt instead?" I ask.

"No! Why would I want you to get hurt, Kusuo? I mean, you are my soulmate and all . . ." Then she starts blabbering away about how we're meant to be and stuff. "Also! You can just use your powers to protect her! And you can even protect yourself!"

"Why am I supposed to help her?"

"Because you're the only one who can. Besides, you can just observe from a distance then control things and people or whatever to make sure she stays safe."

"I don't just use my powers when I want to. And I also have a personal life so--"

"Please, Kusuo!" Aiura puts her hands together and bows.

"If she has bad luck, then there must be some good luck. She's fine and it doesn't seem like a huge accident has happened yet. Most probably they're just minor ones."

Aiura pulls on her hair, frustrated. "Just use your psychometry thing on me! You'll see how bad it is."

I remove my gloves and touch her arm. I take a look at (Y/n) and there's a thin layer of black around her. "Her aura is weak and it looks like it's faded."

"It's not weak, in fact, it's the opposite. I'm not supposed to see her aura because your aura is too strong that it covers everyone else's. Your aura is still stronger than hers, that's why it looks faded. But when you're not around, it's super intense."

I put on my gloves. "You've seen it?"

She nods. "I passed by her a while ago on the way to the restroom. I was going to say hi but I was too scared."

"She must've been confused and thought you were rude."

"Nah, it doesn't seem like she noticed me. It's fine."

The bell rings.

Aiura stands. "Please, Kusuo? I think it'll be okay if you don't have to watch her all the time. But can you keep her safe?"

"All right, class!" The teacher claps. "Back to your seats!"

I sigh. I guess we're never going to have normal transfer students, and I'm never going to have a normal life. I do not want to be involved with her at all.

a/n (03/25/2020): hello! i know that there is a character in the series who also experiences unluckiness, but this is just a disclaimer that i already had this idea even before i read the manga. i was actually surprised to know about her because by that time, i've already written the storyline and a few chapters of this book.

(written 06/24/18)