godfather

Ethan

I sat there motionless in my godfather's office at hindi makapaniwala sa narinig ko. I wanted to bolt out the door, pero alam kong hindi maganda kakalabasan.

"Yes. I want you two to work together. Promote, help, and plan with the student council and lastly..

"..be a good model for this university." He said the last words slowly staring into our eyes back and forth.

***

Di ko pa ren maalis sa isip ko yung meeting even after almost 5 hours had passed. Nagbasketball na ko, lumabas at nagmall, kumaen, naligo, nanuod ng porn.

And yet, "you will get your act together. It's either that or States iho" my godfather said when Laurent had left the office.

I stayed in the office trying to protest. To tell him that I have been decent and have been behaving very well.

"Ninong, I have been very good. I already agreed with basketball, this is too much. I can't do this. Besides I spend most of my time with my team for practice." I tried, persuading him.

But apparently, he's got eyes everywhere, because he put his phone down with pictures of me doing.. things.

I knew there was no point to argue. I knew my godfather well enough, he's a man of his words. He'll tell my parents, and kapag nalaman nila yun, I'm sure I'll wake up next week with a flight ticket to join them in the States.

So I left the office feeling defeated.

Agreeing to it means that I will be so busy juggling school, basketball practice, and the stupid school activities. And so, less time to party, fool around and actually have fun. Wtf?

And as if to add even more salt to the wound, I have to work and be all friendly with no other than the poster boy, Laurent. E napaka kupal non! Kupal!

The way he looked at me proved it, as if he's above me and I'm such a pain in the eyes.

Akala mo kung sino. Who the hell does he think he is?

Bahala na.

***

Laurent

I tried to get my mind busy and occupied by finishing all my homework, finalizing report and doing advance research for our next lesson in psychology. All that to exhaust myself.

I have ignored all the messages and calls on Facebook from my friends, they've been trying to reach me for hours but I just didnt want to be reminded of the meeting, sigurado ko, yun ang gusto nilang pagusapan. They probably are worried, pero ayoko munang isipin.

So I closed my laptop, went under the shower and straight to bed, thankful for the late merienda I had so I didn't have to prepare dinner. I planned to sleep early and was ready to forget the day, even just for a moment.

But my head was such a traitor.

The moment I closed my eyes, my mind went straight to thinking of Mr. Dufresne' office.

The stern look in his eyes, the projects that we are about to do and of course that smug face of Ethan.

I couldn't believe that my scholarship was put on the line because of the feud I got myself tangled with.

Ng dahil lang sa isang gabing pagwawalwal. I shouldnt have agreed going to that bar. I shouldn't!

Pero wala na nangyare na. I just cant believe how one stupid decision could almost ruin the plan I carefully built for myself.