Chapter 20 - The Call

Start from the beginning

I asked since it was rare for Lisa to come to my stall on weekends, probably hating on the crowd and uncomfortable with it. So having her coming today as opposed to other days was unpredictable.

"I'm not working today. So I was thinking to stop by"

"I see. Where are you now? It's so noisy"

"Oh sorry! I'm still in Camden"

"What?! You are still there?!"

"Yeah. Next to your stall actually"

"Just finished your yakisoba?"

"Well, kind of"

Smiling, I walked back and forth to come out with something that would keep the conversation going since I was so bad at this.

"You really can't wait to call me, huh?"

And my brain came out with a risky tease that I wasn't sure how it got there in the first place.

"Hmmm, kind of too"

But thankfully, Lisa took it like a charm that she was by going with the storm wave instead of fighting against it.

"So, are you going somewhere after this?" I continued, refusing to have any awkward silence.

"No. I have no plan for today actually"

I saw that as the chance that Natalie told me about. Don't wait, she said. And I agreed with her because some chances in life wouldn't come twice. Most of the best ones only came once. So it's either you seize it, or have an entire lifetime questioning about why you did not.

"Would you love to have one?" I said it directly like how I wanted it without hesitation or second thoughts.

"Well, that depends on what kind of plan it is"

"How about going out with me kind of plan?"

I wouldn't let her make any move on me this time. Because for me, Lisa had done enough. She had come to my stall at least twice every week for more than a year now, without tired or bored, and I realised it was my turn now. I honestly didn't hope for her to say yes, considering the rejections I gave to her before. So there was no reason for her not to do the same to me.

"Sure. I'd love to, Chae..."

But Lisa proved to me that she wasn't someone who would let me down.

"That's great!" I got so excited in an instant, thinking hard about the activities she might be interested in doing.

As I was desperate to come out with one, putting the crowded environment as the number one issue to consider, which already threw a lot of potential plans out from the window, it was Lisa who suggested something to my ear.

"How about movie? Do you want to watch a movie with me?"

I smiled. It was a kind of smile that was hurtful to the face, yet satisfying to let go. It was a kind of smile when everything happened according to the plan and I finally found someone I had lost before; myself, lying on the boat as I enjoyed being devoured by the huge waves.

◾◾◾

"After you"

"Thank you" I said when Lisa held the door for me as I was exiting the cinema hall, letting me walk out first like a gentle person I just discovered her to be.