'So then, fellas. J is gonna show us tonight what's going on round here so we stick with the story about the club with J's dad and everything should be groovy ok?' 

Steve was silent but was shaking his head whilst the others were nodding, his body language spoke volumes. Spider picked up on it instantly. 'And what's the matter with you?' 

Steve looked at Spider. 'I dunno Spi. It sounds a bit risky don't you think? Tiptoeing around a military base? Sorry J, I know you said that you went with that bird and you crept on to the edge of the base on your own but if all five of us start farting about over there we're gonna end up getting collared, specially if your dragging this great length along with us.' Steve pointed a finger at Grant who in turn smiled back with a cheesy grin. 'We could get into some serious bother let alone if there is something not right going on there, we could end getting shot up or monged out like these villagers you talked about. God knows what they've done to them to get them like that.' 

Tim grinned and nudged Grant's elbow. 'He's bottling it Spi.' 

Grant couldn't help but smile and take advantage of an opportunity as he nudged Steve. 'I wouldn't worry about that mongy bit mate. By the looks of you, someone has beaten them to it.' 

The boys laughed heartily and Steve acknowledged the joke with a painfully sarcastic smile. 

'Yeah funny chaps, ha ha. No, it's not bottling it I'm just a bit concerned about the whole thing that's all. You've all got to admit that it sounds a bit too far fetched to be anything really serious. No offence J.' 

Jason's face was calm. He rose smoothly from the chair positioned at the end of the table and waved the boys on. 'None taken old son. But do me all a favour will you?' The boys all looked at each other awkwardly. 'Follow me.' Without waiting to see whether they had obeyed his wish, Jason had made his way to the back door, unlocked it and entered the back garden. Sounds of chairs scraping and voices confirmed to him that they were on their way. He waited for them at the foot of the stairs that led into the main lawn, looking around at the gardens beauty once again, even in this never ending bitter cold climate and twilight shroud. Jason listened to the boys chatter, the comments on the beautiful and vast garden, the cold and the ever decreasing light. 

'Come down here lads.' Jason ushered them onto the centre of the lawn. The harsh heavy air was damp and cold as it clashed with their warm skin, draining away more and more heat with every gust. They all congregated in a small crowd like penguins away from Jason, in expectation of him doing something for their amusement. 'This misty air. It's just light enough for you to see it. Cup your hands round it and look carefully.' Like bemused children, the group separated and attempted to grab a handful of the cold misty air that was swirling all around them. Jason folded his arms and smiled as he watched his friend's bizarre actions. He felt like a nurse taking out a bunch of mental patients for some fresh air. The scene in front of it encapsulated his thoughts perfectly. He watched them as they discovered one by one what he had wanted them to find, then watched them share with one another what they all now knew. Spider had stopped first and had stared in Jason's direction with a puzzled look. Jason smiled at him and gave him the thumbs up. Spider's spectral appearance glided over to his best friend and stood beside him. 

'The mist has a black speckled colour to it J.' 

Jason looked at Spider. 'I know.' 

'What does it mean?' They both looked on at the others' continuing mental antics. 

'I don't know. I only picked up on it a few days ago myself. It's actually getting darker day by day though it seems to have no real effect at night.' 

Spider shook his head as the others stopped and trotted over. 'Bloody strange. I've never seen or heard anything like it.' 

As they watched the others, Jason leaned in to talk to Spider. 'I know. I've looked it up on the internet and nothing is on there that comes close to pinning it down to what we've got up here. When you put all the little pieces together you have to say to yourself that something is not right amongst it all.' Spider nodded. 'But do you see what I mean now? Don't say a word; let's just see what the three stooges come up with.' 

Tim, Steve and Grant had conferred amongst themselves whilst Jason and Spider were talking, finally rejoining the other two after Jason had whispered in Spiders ear, joking about what ridiculous theories they would come with that made Spider laugh whilst they looked in their direction. 

'So what do you reckon then chaps?' 

Almost in unison, they said 'It's black.' 

Spider clapped sarcastically as Jason answered. 'Well I don't know about black but it's definitely dark and it seems to be getting darker day by day.'  

Grant looked confused. 'I've never heard of anything like this J.' 

'Ditto.' Replied Spider. 'I don't think anybody has. That's why we're here boys, to help J get some answers. So are we all in or what?' They all agreed enthusiastically. Spider looked at Steve with a raised eyebrow and a lopsided grin. A white bony finger singled the big guy out. 'And no bottling it!' 

They all laughed loudly and barracked Steve who took his punishment but pledged his loyalty which was met with reassuring back slaps. As they calmed down, the five boys formed a circle on the lawn as they all agreed to help their friend in an attempt to solve what was going on around this dark secluded part of northern England. Looking around the group, Jason felt warm inside with the solidarity that his best friends had shown towards him and his plight. Steve had still retained the look of concern for the whole affair and Jason had to admit to himself that he would be feeling pretty much the same as he did at this present moment in time. Jason gently slapped Steve on the back and smiled, Steve returned the smile, his face suddenly looking somewhat re-assured that his friend would not knowingly lead him into unwarranted danger lightly. Spider moaned about the cold and the boys all agreed, their host leading them back into the warmth of the house. Another brew beckoned and so did polishing of the plan for the night ahead.

175