Chapter 23

Chapter 23

David arrived home from work just after six and opened the front door to be greeted with a house ringing with raised voices and boisterous laughter. Not having seen a car on the drive had caught him by surprise that Jason's friends had actually arrived. Entering the sitting room, all of the guests exchanged hellos and Tim was introduced to the head of the household. 

'Good to see you all boys. I didn't see any wheels so I hadn't expected to see you. I take it you're the driver Tim? Where are you parked?' 

'Just down the road a bit. I wanted to let you get your car on the drive first; it's a bit better than mine.' 

David raised his eyebrows in satisfactory acknowledgement. 

'Well that's very thoughtful of you Tim, thank you.' 

'No worries Mr Conroy. Now that you're home, I'll just move it back.' 

With that, Tim picked up his coat and car keys and exited out of the front door. All the other boys exchanged a stealthy look of satisfaction amongst themselves. David returned his attention to the remaining group that was sprawled out over the remaining unopened boxes and indigenous furniture. 

'So then boys, it's a club tonight then I take it?' They all replied 'yes Mr Conroy' as one. 

'And no alcohol to be consumed as well I trust?' Their answer between them was a jumble of replies but all lead to the same meaning, 'No Mr. Conroy.'  

'Excellent. Then I hope you boys will have a very good time. What time will I expect to see you home Jason?' 

'We were going to stay over at Spider's mate's place after if that was ok with you? We thought that chances are we are all going to be pretty knackered afterwards and we didn't think it was fair to expect Tim to drive back. The offer was there to crash over so we were gonna take it and head back about mid day Saturday if that's alright?' 

Everyone's eyes were anxiously glued to David's thoughtful expression. After a few agonising seconds of waiting in silence, David answered. 'Yeah, that's fine. I don't foresee a problem with that plan; in fact I think that it's a very sensible solution. You're all decent boys, just remember to behave. I'm sorry to sound a bore, but in my position I have to ask.' 

Once again there was a resounding confirmation to Conroy senior's wishes and with a smile and a nod, David excused himself from their company and headed in the direction of the kitchen. Jason closed the door behind his father as the boys relaxed and exhaled as one. A knock on the front door signalled Tim's return. Jason sprang into action and within seconds the pair returned to the sitting room, both faces looked stern. Spider, the eternal pessimist jumped straight to a conclusion. 

'It's the wagon isn't it? Don't tell me you've binned it already Tim?' 

'You should see it. It's a mess son. Sorry.' 

Spider put his head in his hands, then swept back his long lank black hair to reveal his ivory white, gaunt features, now instantly showing an added strain, veins pulsing in his forehead. 'Tell me you're winding me up boys please? If anyone so much as farts in that wagon let alone ding it my brother will chop my Jacobs off, no lie, I swear.'  

Both Jason and Tim's faces changed from solemn to elated as their prank exceeded even their own wishes. 'You're such a worrier Spi.' Tim beamed back. 'Only spoofing old boy. Nice motor though.' 

The boys all laughed as Spider ignored them and took a huge sigh of relief. Jason turned to Tim. 'The old guy has swallowed it so we're on.' Tim looked at the other lads and they all nodded.