Chapter 18

Chapter 18

David wandered around the upstairs of the old, miserable looking house, flitting from one room to another casually as he completed menial domestic housekeeping tasks. A neat pile of clean, folded washing was put at the end of his own bed while soft classical music effortlessly wafted through the open doorways, rolling its caressing tones around the darkened corners of the building. As David reached the threshold of Jason's room, he stepped into a cold, wet puddle, soaking his sock. Immediately knowing what the origin of the problem was, David hopped the rest of the way into Jason's room and placed another copious pile of clean laundry on his son's bed before sitting down and dealing with the offending article. He then carefully located a dry patch near his big toe and peeled off the soaking sock by both ends as to not touch the wet zone. 

'Shitting hell. What is the matter with that bloody cat?' 

At that very moment, as if summoned by the very thought of him, Kato appeared at the doorway of Jason's room. He glanced at David as he paced along, and then stopped in his tracks in the very centre of the entrance. Kato then looked at the puddles location then lazily back at David with an almost 'How do you like that?' expression covering his beige and amber features. Feeling a rising anger at the feline's apparent contempt for the head of the household, David threw the sock at Kato, a verbal volley of expletives streamed behind the sodden woollen missile. The offending article fell wide of its intended target, hitting the chipped and battered off-white wooden frame of the door. Kato, unfazed by the outburst towards his handiwork, had followed the trajectory of the inbound attack, quickly dawning on him that its direction was to cause him no need to take a defensive posture. His gaze was unchanged from the contempt of earlier, simply shifting from the downed sock back to David with a look that could easily have said 'Missed', and David knew it. The beast's resistance to move prompted the one socked man to launch himself from the edge of the bed in an explosion of movement and language that finally forced the cat into action, knowing that the time for his persistent belligerence was at an end and proceeded to make a hasty exit into the depths of downstairs. By the time that he had reached the landing and looked down, the creature had vanished as quickly as he had appeared. 

David returned to the scene of the crime and began to soak up the puddle by taking off his remaining sock and placing them both over the area. Just as he started, a message alert sounded from his bedroom. All focus from the task at hand was wiped away as David's features changed immediately from an angry frustrated man with a domestic annoyance to a blank expressionless vessel, almost robot-like in his absence of character. He entered his bedroom, the only light inside was formed by an ultra slim-line laptop positioned on his desk opposite the foot of his bed, which spewed un-natural illumination at a strange angle, creating abstract shadows behind the furnishings. He sat himself down silently and within seconds had paused the music that had wafted softly through the machines speakers. David checked the inbound mail on his msn messenger. It was from 'LA 1'. 

From LA 1: subject: JC status

Summary on situation regarding JC and possible knowledge regarding Shadowsetter programme: his own intuitions are telling him that everything is not how it should be where he is. Has not elaborated on any theory as to the origin or reason to his doubts which leads me to think he is generally ignorant to the true situation at the project site. Furthermore, due to his lack of conversation on the topic I deem the situation nominal at this time. My only concern would be directed at his new acquaintance.

David:

New acquaintance?

LA 1:

A local girl. At this present moment I do not know the level of contact between the two. A distinct possibility at this current time would to assume that both see each other for a potentially romantic\/sexual liaison, nothing more.

David:

Conclusion?

LA 1:

My conclusion is that I find the situation within acceptable parameters at this present moment in time. There is no conceivable threat to the projects anonymity or success. Though I hasten to add it would be prudent and advisable to exercise a continued monitoring of the subject, with his origin and character to be taken into account.'

David:

Agreed. And the girl?

LA 1:

Is of no potential threat at this time.

JC'S associates?

LA 1:

Will be filtered accordingly.

David:

Excellent. Keep me informed of your progress.

LA 1:

Acknowledged. Will be in touch.

David leaned back into his chair and frowned as he read back the messages sent from LA 1. He rubbed the stubble on his chin vigorously then after the act had seemingly helped him think over the situation in his mind, closed down the laptop and placed it gently into the bottom drawer, removing his keys from his pocket. David fumbled through the bundle and located a dark brown, stumpy, ancient looking key and locked its contents away. He rose suddenly from his chair and crossed the blackened room over to the main window. He pulled the heavy new curtains together but paused as he peered out into the endless dark of the night, his eyes suddenly alert, seeking out, straining to gain a view of anything tangible. In the distance David spotted the blur of red tail lights as a car wound its way through the twisty claustrophobic country lanes. He then picked out a figure in a thick coat moving towards the direction of the house. David continued to watch, unmoved, like an animal stalking the approach of its ignorant quarry. Within thirty seconds of watching, David recognised the swagger and the clothing. Jason bowled onto the driveway, unaware that his arrival was being scrutinised. David's eyes narrowed at the recognition then slowly finished drawing the curtains.

145