Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Jason's sleep was quickly stolen away from him when the warm comfort of the back seats of his fathers BMW was sucked out rapidly as the door was opened, letting in a blustery torrent of icy cold winter air and a healthy quantity of rain to match. David Conroy seemed to take great pleasure in rousing his son from his once cosy retreat like a drill instructor harassing his new recruits. 

'Come on sleeping beauty! We're here!' 

Jason stirred as the rapid expulsion of a warm air-conditioned environment had given away to the rigors of the north of England's unyielding winter welcome. 

'Jesus dad! You could have at least woken me up before you done that or just left me and Kato here until I'd woken up on my own?!' 

'You've got to be joking! You would end up being in there till Christmas if you had your way. Anyway there is plenty of time for sleep later. Come on, aren't you excited about looking at the new place?' 

Jason resentfully hauled his frame out of the car whilst constantly whinging about the extreme cold and the missed opportunity to resume his slumber. He picked up the wicker basket from the back seat but as he attempted to check on the cat visually, the impenetrable darkness that had engulfed them in their new surroundings had robbed him of even that small task. There was no noise from the basket but Jason could feel the cat's weight fidgeting around inside, a clear sign to him that things were ok within. The mog was obviously overwhelmed in taking in his new surroundings with eyesight and a sense of smell that was far superior to that of his master. Jason scanned his immediate view hurriedly but the pitch black of the winter's night was unwilling to give away any secrets. No street or house lights in any direction as far as he could see added to the complete veil of blindness. 

'Haven't they discovered the wonder of electricity in this charming little backwater yet!?' Jason bellowed sarcastically over the howl of the wind and rain and the violent shaking of bushes and shrubs, unseen to him but their battering from the elements was clearly audible. No response from his father. Jason could just hear the jangling of keys several feet away and moved towards its general direction. Rain whipped his face as the cold wind began to drain what warmth had remained within him from the comfort of his ride. The rain fell at a constant rate as the elements tossed the weather this way and that, crashing droplets into his body and face, stinging his eyes and contours as its deep cold recoil bit into his skin like a million tiny, ice sharp blades. Jason staggered over to the direction of the door and stumbled on an unseen step, lurching him forwards and into the back of his father, which was answered with un-complimentary moans from the both of them and a stir from Kato. 

'Come on dad for Christ's sake! Open the door while we're young!' 

'I'm trying child. I've just got to unlock this chub and then we're in.' 

Jason gazed upwards at the front of the building through squinted, rain whipped eyes. As his vision adjusted slightly, he could see the vague silhouette of the building loom over them like a vast black slumbering sentinel guarding an ancient secret. There was no hiding the fact that even in the pitch darkness it was a large old house. It intimidated Jason immediately. 

The door swung open rapidly as a massive gust of wind swept them up and pushed them inside. Within the dark confines of the building a frightening hiss and deep toned scraping sound filled the stale dank air as it echoed around the unseen interior. The noise almost resembled a vocal pain from someone or something alive and a distress at being disturbed. The strange wailing was not clear-cut to the ears as the din from the weather and their entrance interlaced itself amongst it. 

David leant his weight on the ample door and slammed it heavily, shutting out the increasingly fierce gale. A large boom echoed around for what seemed like an age; the emptiness unseen was given away by the amplified extension of the doors closure and it sounded to Jason, another hiss, less prominent, faded as the echo dissipated. 

'Jesus Christ! Did you just hear all that?!' 

Although David's face was hidden in the darkness, Jason knew exactly what expression was etched on his features when the nonchalant reply was simply 'No.' 

David scrambled frantically along the wall in search for the light switch; his clumsy erratic fumbling sounded like a dozen demented rats foraging, such was the urgency of the old mans finger speed. If indeed he was ignorant to what Jason had heard, his scrabbling digits told a different tale. Finally with a click, two chandeliers lethargically lit up the length of the downstairs hallway in front of them. The light emitted was yellow and faint at best, only revealing a brief suggestion of the downstairs entrance. As David turned to his son, he was greeted with an open mouthed youth that looked as though he had just met with the gaze of Medusa. 

'You have got to be having a laugh?' 

David shrugged innocently. 'What?' 

'So you're actually gonna say that you didn't hear that?' 

David raised his eyebrows to the ceiling casually, his eyes followed as if examining the plasterwork. 'Probably just the wind...' 

'No way. I've heard all types of wind and nothing like that. Sorry dad but I'm not taking a step further in here.' 

David sharply bought his attention back down to meet Jason. 'Oh don't be daft its just noise that's all. Nothing to stress over!' 

'You're insane!'  

'No, I'm a Libra. You're just being paranoid boy. You play too many scary video games and watch too many scary films. Stuff like that just doesn't exist in the real world. Hang on a sec and look around you.' 

The walls looked dull and dirty, devoid of any sharp colour. Old fashioned wallpaper adorned them with a pattern so worn it appeared to be a fading memory rather than an interior design. The floor was darker still. The lack of light was not allowing any further detail to be given away but from what he could see it was an original wooden patterned floor, an old but classic feature. 

David clicked another switch that gave light to the right hand side of the hall which moved their attention up to the stairwell. The light was equally as weak as the lower hall, barely illuminating the upper level. The elegant, ornate banister mirrored the quality of the floor but from what Jason could see, the dreariness of the downstairs had not let the upstairs of the house escape its languid, bleak chokehold. Jason turned to his father who had a look of expectancy etched on his excited features. His raised eyebrows were a clear signal that he was anxious to hear his sons input. The boy was keen not to disappoint. 

'Well dad, what can I say? Apart from the surprise that we have electricity, and that the upstairs is probably full of axe murderers, what a depressing dump.' 

David swiftly jumped at the defence of his purchase. 

'Hey now, come on. That's a bit strong. You're not giving the place a fair chance! You are standing on the doormat without stepping foot in the place. Have a proper good look around and then honestly tell me if it hasn't got potential.' 

Jason stared down forlornly at his feet and shook his head miserably. 

'It has the potential of making me depressed.' 

David clasped his arm around his sons shoulder warmly and gave him a gentle re-assuring squeeze. 

'Listen. I know we've got a lot of work to do up here, I'll grant you that. But give it time, I promise you will appreciate this before you realise it. I did the same at your age and though I hated it at first, I soon acknowledged that it was the best thing that ever happened to me. London is great I know and it is a great place to grow up in and hang out but it's getting rough dow