13. Game Night, Pt. 2

Start from the beginning

"What do you—" I was just about to ask him to elaborate when he raised his hand in the air, clicking his tongue.

"That was two questions already, ya know." He noted, shaking his head in disapproval.

"What? That was one question! A-And a sub-question of the first question." As I said that even to me the explanation sounds more like two questions than one. This was why I hated question games. Questions came with add-ons for me.

Maddox responded to my outrage with a devilish smile before clearing his throat. I took a sip of beer in anticipation of his question, "So, when was the last time you had sex?"

And now that same beer was coming straight out of my nose.

I coughed a few time, trying to clear my airwaves of the liquid I'd inhaled. Maddox chuckled, enjoying my reaction. "Wh-What did you say?" I asked, still hoping that I'd somehow heard him wrong.

"Sex. When was the last time you had some?" He asked again, the corners of his lips twitching with a smile that threatened to take over his face.

Coming from him I should have expected that kind of a question. I cleared my throat trying to come up with an answer. One thing was certain — I was going to lie.

There was no way I would tell Maddox that I was still a virgin. Not that I was even remotely embarrassed of that. I'd never made a big deal about sex. My logical side explained it away as a natural response for procreation, an instinct — and I'd never liked losing control. So, I'd decided to lose my virginity on my terms. Would it be with a one night stand? Maybe, if that's how I wanted it. Would it be with a guy I'd date for a while first? Maybe, if that's how I wanted it. Whenever it was, and whoever it was with, it was no one's business but my own. I'd gotten tired of everyone acting like love and sex were the most important of things. I focused on studying and self-discovery. Others focused on getting the quarterback to notice them.

In all fairness that kind of attitude was probably why I didn't make that many friends in high school.

While I wasn't embarrassed, that didn't mean I wanted Maddox Carter to know something like that about me. Knowing him he'd use this bit of information as a weapon against me. I imagined the relentless teasing that would ensue and shuddered at the thought.

"It's been three years," I muttered quickly, hoping it sounded believable enough.

He narrowed his eyes, studying my face and I blushed under his gaze. Stupid body always responding at the wrong time. After a few moments he nodded, seemingly satisfied with my answer and I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding.

"Hmm... Been a while then. Maybe that's why you're so uptight," he said and winked at me.

Oh no, he did not just say that....

The urge to claw out his eyes was almost overwhelming. I had to take a few deep breaths before speaking, otherwise I knew this would just escalate into an argument, "My turn for a question." I said, my voice turning venomous, "Do you know that the stuff you say is incredibly insulting?"

His eyes went wide at both my tone and my words and he bit down on his lower lip, "I didn't... I didn't mean it seriously, it was just a joke," he muttered, looking away.

"Just cause something is a joke, doesn't mean it's not hurtful." I pressed on, not willing to let this one slide. I'd had enough of these off-handed comments.

"Look, sorry, I just — I don't know why I said that. I make stupid jokes like that when I'm nervous—" He scratched the back of his head awkwardly, his voice soft and apologetic but I couldn't be stopped.

"I have an even better question. Does your mom know how you treat women?" My voice had a dangerous tinge that surprised even myself. "Cause if I was her, I'd be so ashamed of you."

I knew I'd said too much when I saw the deep hurt on his face. He looked at me with shock, confusion, and pain swirling in those stunning gray eyes of his and the guilt that instantly surged through me made me look away. In my anger I'd gone too far.

"I don't think you're really an expert on how I treat women. Liking sex doesn't make me some monster. I'm upfront about it and sometimes girls get carried away, but that's not my fault." He looked down at his hands, fingers entwined as his arms rested on his knees. He took one shaky breath and then he stood up abruptly. "But, to answer your question, I don't know what my mom would think because she died years ago."

He finished in a low voice and made his way to the fridge. My mouth open and eyes wide, I stared after him.

What have I done?

The guilt I'd been feeling was nothing compared to the amount that consumed me now. I felt like trash, like a trash human being. I should have known better than to drag someone's family into stupid bickering. That was the one thing you're never supposed to touch, even in arguments, exactly because of reasons like this. I needed to apologize. I wanted to apologize.

Maddox took two bottles of beer from the fridge and walked to his room before I could say anything.

I guess, it's true what they say: be careful what you wish for.

Game night was cancelled. And, I felt like one giant piece of shit because of it. 

Hi lovelies!

Hi lovelies!

Hope you liked the new chapter and don't forget to vote if you did! ;) 

I'm sorry for the slight delay in uploading guys, a friend had a crisis and I wanted to be there for her. So, with my full-time job, that took a good chunk of my free time. 

I also want to say THANK YOU for all the lovely comments that I've loved reading and replying to! You guys make my day. <3

So, did you expect Game Night would be cancelled? :( 

Don't worry, game night might not be over for good... 

Also finally, Aimee is the one who messed up instead of Maddox! A nice change of pace, I think. 

Have a lovely week, and stay safe! <3