07 | everything was fine

warning:
graphic depictions of violence,
death ahead. be warned.

seven.

TAEHYUN LEANED IN CLOSER, speaking the words cautiously as if someone else could hear them. Hueningkai tilted his head in confusion. "What do you mean by that?"

Taehyun gulped. "They're planning something, Kai."

"Planning what?"

"Beomgyu planned to k—"

The door suddenly opened, interrupting the two, and Taehyun clenched his fists when he saw Beomgyu walk inside the room. Hueningkai was left curious about what Taehyun was about to say, especially when he mentioned Beomgyu.

"I brought some water for Taehyun. Soobin and Yeonjun are in the kitchen cooking early dinner," Beomgyu explained as he set the water jug down on a table beside the bed.

Taehyun looked at the water jug intently, wondering if it also contained something to finish him off. Dark thoughts filled his mind as he looked away, sending a look to Hueningkai. However, Hueningkai couldn't understand why Taehyun was looking at him that way.

"We'll be practicing again tomorrow. PD is expecting us to be well-acquainted when we get back. How does that make you feel?" Beomgyu asked.

It was a question none of them were ready for.

They didn't have the answer.

"It doesn't make sense, right? We all used to be so close." Beomgyu started, walking over to sit down on the bed, just two meters away from Taehyun. "How did we come to this?"

"You kept picking on me, hyung," Taehyun answered, looking emotionless.

Beomgyu looked at him and tilted his head, a sad smile appearing on his face. "We all have our reasons."

Hueningkai sighed, "You two are fighting again. Why does it have to be like this? If it's not Soobin-hyung and Yeonjun-hyung fighting, then it's you both."

Taehyun sniffled, feeling tears prickling his eyes. "Hueningkai, you should go watch the other two. Beomgyu and I need to talk."

Hueningkai looked at them one last time before shaking his head in disappointment as he exited the room, slamming the door shut.

"Dropping the formalities, I see," Beomgyu smirked.

"You don't deserve formalities after what you did to me." Taehyun spat.

Beomgyu's eyes widened. "You knew? You heard—"

"You see, our friend group is really complicated," Taehyun interrupted. "There's our supposed leader, Soobin-hyung. He got into a fight one time with Yeonjun-hyung. It continued on and on. Then there's you and me. We got into a fight one time and the cycle continues. Fight, forgive, forget, repeat. Then there's the one in the middle, Hueningkai. He's the only one who keeps us all intact, keeps us sane."

"I don't understand what—"

"Because you never understand. Because you think this is all a game." Taehyun stood up, a look of frustration and anger in his face.

"I heard you tell Yeonjun-hyung that you caused this. You put something in my drink. But how? Why?"

Beomgyu smiled, "Sit down for a second and I'll tell you."

"You don't get to tell me what to do." Taehyun glared.

"Sit. Down."

There was something in Beomgyu's look that made Taehyun have no choice but to comply. He sat down on the bed, looking at Beomgyu with a cold stare.

"Did you hear everything I told Yeonjun-hyung?" Beomgyu asked.

"Why do you need to know?"

"Answer me."

Taehyun sighed, "No, I left after you told Yeonjun-hyung that you spiked my drink."

"Good." Beomgyu smiled, however, there was a glint of menace in his eyes. "Because I heard everything that you and Soobin-hyung said in the kitchen."

"Wh-what are you talking about?" Taehyun backed away, the bed creaking from the weight.

Beomgyu grabbed a pillow, hugging it to his chest. "I didn't expect it but I guess I heard it on the way."

"But what else can I say? I guess the tables have turned."

Beomgyu stuffed the pillow into his face, cutting off his oxygen. Taehyun couldn't breathe, nor shout for help, nor even fight his way out. Beomgyu always had the upper hand and without thinking twice had done this to his own friend.

Seconds passed and Taehyun stopped moving.

"I'm so sorry, Taehyun..."