06 | how we ended up here

six. 

YEONJUN GRABBED THE CONTROLLERS FROM THE DRAWERS, handing them to Beomgyu and Hueningkai. Soobin sighed in disappointment but never from surprise when Yeonjun rejected his suggestion to watch movies. It was such a Yeonjun thing to do, picking on Soobin all the time. He'd gotten used to it already. He was even sitting down on the floor just like before while the three were on the comfy couch, his couch. The only difference was that Taehyun wasn't beside him on the floor.

"Are you sure Taehyun's okay?" Soobin asked, looking up at Hueningkai.

"Yes, I checked on him earlier. He's sleeping," Hueningkai answered.

Soobin nodded. Yeonjun turned on the tv connected to the Xbox controller. "What games do you want to play?" He asked.

"God of war!" Beomgyu exclaimed. Hueningkai agreed as well which left Soobin. "Yeah, that game's cool too."

He had no option.

They all forgot they were in his house.

Most especially, Yeonjun.

----

"Is this the monthly ranks?" Soobin asked another trainee beside him. The trainee nodded in reply, looking away to find his rank for the monthly evaluation.

Soobin sighed once he saw where he stood on the list. Rank number tenth.

He wanted to aim higher than that. He wanted first place.

"It must have been because I was so nervous," he told himself as he continued looking at the list.

Choi Yeonjun, 1st.

The name caught his eye.

And as if on cue, the boy came into the room erupting a series of congratulations from the other trainees. Soobin looked behind him to see Yeonjun staring at the list. Then his gaze flickered to Soobin.

"You're new, right?" Yeonjun asked him. Soobin nodded meekly, feeling shy.

"Your name?" Yeonjun continued to ask. "Choi...Choi Soobin," he answered.

"Oh, rank ten. Impressive for a newbie. Actually, I think the teacher mentioned you and I together in a group to perform a cover of our senior's song." Yeonjun said, looking up to recall the previous events.

"Yes, I-I think so," Soobin replied, remembering his mentor also mentioning his name during one of the classes.

"You don't need to be shy." Yeonjun smiled as he patted Soobin's shoulder. "We're co-trainees. Might as well be friends."

And that's how Yeonjun became his first friend from the company.

----

Soobin shook those thoughts away from his head as he focused on the tv screen. It was now a distant memory he buried in the past. Now, everything was different and he had no other choice but to accept it or change it.

Hueningkai felt his phone vibrate, signaling a message. He opened it and saw that it was from Taehyun.

taehyunie: come to the guest room. i have something really important to tell you.

He stood up and excused himself for a moment as he headed to Taehyun's room. The other three were too immersed in the game which made Hueningkai easier to slip away. He knocked on the door before opening, greeting Taehyun softly.

"You're awake. Are you feeling alright?" Hueningkai asked.

Taehyun passed by Hueningkai, not answering his question, and went to the door. He opened it lightly, cautiously looking out to see if anyone was listening in on them. He sighed in relief when he could hear the other three still in the living room.

"There's something wrong."